Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA: Reading another bf'ing post reminded me of something...opinions?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 153 Replies
3 moms liked this

So... I get the inconvenience of having to pack all your stuff up, drag a baby (often screaming) away to another room, and be sometimes isolated just to bf in private... And I don't think it's always necessary. I bf'd both of mine. I'm FOR bf'ing as long as possible.
However, there really are some places where public bf'ing is just not appropriate.
Say... In the middle of church on the front pew. Yes, I've seen this happen. The woman unbuttoned her shirt, pulled her 4 year old up on her lap, and popped her breast right out in the open. She Didn't bother to try to be modest in the least bit. She finished on the first side, pulled then second one out THEN put the first away and allowed her son to finish. We had an usher offer her a small sheet but she insisted she was fine.
I know as a Christian I'm the minority in this group but is it not common sense that in this scenario she should've covered up? Or made use of the bf'ing room in the nursery??? (which is also fully equipped with monitors so women who need to be excused don't have to miss anything).
Thoughts??

Eta: I didn't expect this topic to get so much attention so quickly..
Anyway just to cover a few reoccurring comments:

-first, this actually really did happen. I did not make this up.

-I never said she shouldn't feed her child...not baby...CHILD. I just said perhaps she could've excused herself to the nursery or used a cover up rather than eposing her entire rack.
-I did not have an issue with the woman bf'ing or the fact that her kid was 4. My issue was that at one point she was fully exposed to everyone who was on the platform...including a panel of men.
-yes, Mary bf'd Jesus. Again, bf'ing was not the issue. I doubt Mary fully exposed herself in the temple or that Jesus was 4 and still being bf'd...especially considering how conservatives Hebrew women were/are. Perhaps if the point is to follow after Mary, maybe more modesty IS in order
-judgmental hypocrite? I'm not even touching that one sense it seems to be the go-to accusation for any non believer anytime a Christian voices an opinion they disagree with. Furthermore I won't comment on the fact that we were instructed TO judge. *gasp. Again, non believers only quote what they feels supports their opinion.
-the child was 4. He could've waited the short duration of the service. The mom could've waited so she wasn't a distraction... Or covered up.
-yes, our society has turned breasts into a sexual object. Knowing that this is the case why would any woman want to expose herself in a room full of men? Churches are open to all people and full of people with a past and some with a present that isn't full of integrity. Just because youre in church doesnt mean you wont come across some less than reputable people. do you think all christians were born saved? again, My only issue is she could have been a little more modest.
-one poster portrayed my thoughts best:
"the attitude of 'I'm gonna bf whenever and wherever I want and if it makes you uncomfortable, suck it up!' Demeans the act of bf'ing from a beautiful, nurturing experience to a belligerent battle of whose 'rights' are more important. And it's an Epic fail in promoting bf'ing".

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Bump
Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. 

Just like I posted in the other post, out of the whole 8 months breastfeeding my son, I've never found a reason to pop out a boob in public. It can be avoided. 

Church is definitely not the place for it, lol!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

My SIL got very mad at my dad because he asked her to cover up at my sisters wedding, during the reception, while we were eating she pulled out her breasts to breastfeed. Now, that wasn't the problem. The problem came when she pulled her breast out of her bra and let it hang there while getting her DD ready to eat. We were ALL just staring at her in shock.

I don't care if you breastfeed in public but there are discrete ways of doing it. If she has thrown a blanket over her shoulder long enough to get her to latch that would have been fine but to sit there with her breasts hanging out at a formal wedding reception was tasteless and rude.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a classy lady there LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
So just because it's church she shouldn't feed her baby? How do you think Mary fed baby Jesus?
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I am all for BFing in public. I did it, but always used a cover. I think women should be more discreet and cover up, at least until the baby is attached.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I agree with you. 

danie24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if you have such a problem with breasts and only view them in such a sexual, dirty way.. it's YOU with the problem. Not the mother.

The church I grew up in supported breastfeeding moms.

I grew up seeing breastfeeding. It was as normal to me, as a kid, as seeing someone eat a piece of toast.

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you read? No one said she couldn't feed her baby. And he's not a baby... he's 4.

Quoting Anonymous:

So just because it's church she shouldn't feed her baby? How do you think Mary fed baby Jesus?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I breastfed in church and in other public places. But, not a 4 year old and always with a cover. I'm too modest to just pop my breasts out, even if it is for a good and legally protected reason. I fully support nursing uncovered, as long as it's done discreetly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)