Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Update regarding elderly woman denied CPR

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 16 Replies

Family: Woman Denied CPR Wanted No Intervention

By TRACIE CONE Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. March 6, 2013 (AP) 

Relatives of an 87-year-old woman who died after a nurse at her retirement home refused a 911 dispatcher's pleas to perform CPR expressed satisfaction with the care she received, saying her wishes were to die naturally, while the company that owns the facility now says its worker failed to follow proper procedures.

Lorraine Bayless' death last week at Glendale Gardens, a Bakersfield independent living facility, prompted outrage after a 7-minute recording of the 911 call was released. Brookdale Senior Living, which owns the facility, initially said its employee acted correctly by waiting until emergency personnel arrived. But late Tuesday, it issued a new statement saying the employee had misinterpreted the company's guidelines and was on voluntary leave while the case is investigated.  

"This incident resulted from a complete misunderstanding of our practice with regards to emergency medical care for our residents," the Tennessee-based company said.

Meantime, shortly before Brookdale's clarification, Bayless' family sent The Associated Press a statement saying she was aware that Glenwood Gardens did not offer trained medical staff, but opted to live there anyway.  

"It was our beloved mother and grandmother's wish to die naturally and without any kind of life prolonging intervention," the family said. "We understand that the 911 tape of this event has caused concern, but our family knows that mom had full knowledge of the limitations of Glenwood Gardens and is at peace."

The family said it would not sue or try to profit from the death, and called it "a lesson we can all learn from." 

"We regret that this private and most personal time has been escalated by the media," the statement said.

Read more:  http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/family-woman-denied-cpr-wanted-intervention-18663718

The family says they are satisfied with the care she received, that she would not have wanted CPR.  Is that enough to just let it go?  Should this staff person who refused the CPR still be held liable in some way?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ssnelson26
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Ok i wondered.  (as a former CNA) it sounded as she probably had DNR orders.  at that age, and in their conditons, you'd be surprised how many of our elderly have DNR (Do Not Rescusitate) orders.    but also at a senior living property, there is not a requirement for CPR nor even CPR trained employees.  i think the dispatcher should have taken the 1st no and dispatched emergency personnel instead of spending 7 minutes begging her to get someone, IMHO

mypbandj
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM
If the dispatcher had simply said, "oh ok, I see you don't dont do CPR. Lets just cross our fingers then till the ambulance can get there. "

She would have lost her job! It was her job to do anything she could to try and get that lady CPR.

I don't blame the nurse with the patient either. It wasn't their policy and she could have lost her job.

Besides, doing CPR on a person isn't always for the best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I think the family saying that this is the way she would've wanted it, and saying they are not suing or pressing charges, is enough to let this particular incident go.  I think if the facility wants to do a more in-depth review of their policies and procedures with all of their staff, since they are now claiming it was a misunderstanding, then that is fine.  But I don't think any sort of punishments are in order.

The elderly lady is at peace, the family is ok, let it rest.

kiriis
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM
No, she was following company rules. Should the rules be changed? I think so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I think people ought to let it go. The woman was 87 and ready to go. They can review their policies later.

ssnelson26
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting mypbandj:

If the dispatcher had simply said, "oh ok, I see you don't dont do CPR. Lets just cross our fingers then till the ambulance can get there. "  thats understood! it's cliche as heck to say what i would have done but if it were me, (hopefully) i would have still pleaded for the help, but have already dispatched EMS too

She would have lost her job! It was her job to do anything she could to try and get that lady CPR.
tis very true!!
I don't blame the nurse with the patient either. It wasn't their policy and she could have lost her job.
tis very true as well!!!!
Besides, doing CPR on a person isn't always for the best.

^^^^^^^^that is the most correct statement ever!!!

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the company changed it's mind just to apease the outcry of people that are jsut being riled up by the media. That poor nurse will probably lose her job just for PR's sake.

ssnelson26
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

this vvvvvvvv

but sadly, the bloodhound, misinformed media won't do so smdh

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Personally, I think the family saying that this is the way she would've wanted it, and saying they are not suing or pressing charges, is enough to let this particular incident go.  I think if the facility wants to do a more in-depth review of their policies and procedures with all of their staff, since they are now claiming it was a misunderstanding, then that is fine.  But I don't think any sort of punishments are in order.

The elderly lady is at peace, the family is ok, let it rest.

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

The nurse was doing her job.  Everyone should just leave her alone.  The family has also been misused because their personal business has been splashed across the headlines.  Everyone should just let this be.  This same situation plays out all over the place all the time.  It's not unusual.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

probably it sucks she was in a damned if i do and damed if i dont situation now.

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

I think the company changed it's mind just to apease the outcry of people that are jsut being riled up by the media. That poor nurse will probably lose her job just for PR's sake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)