Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you just treat him normal and expect him to be normal he will be *autism post*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 403 Replies
3 moms liked this

This is what my sister has said to me a million times.

How do I get her to understand, it doesn't work like that???

I have "normal" expectations of ds7, I just know he will needs a different way to get things done, or need some extra help.

And my family is constantly saying, "he's only like that because you let him be" or "If you just left him to do it he would, he is maipulating you because he knows you'll give him attention!"

How do I get them to understand????

I am not giving him extra attention! I am helping him because he needs it!  If I just left him he would become overwhelmed and would NOT react the same as other children his age.

They are always on my case about him being in team sports "If you just put him in a team sport he would see how other children his age are supposed to act and would shape up!" 

It doesn't work that way!!

Why can't I just get support?

If ever I want to vent about his challenges or my challenges, my sister just says "well you choose to raise him that way, I would want a more independant child.  It was your choice."

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM
9 moms liked this

welcome to my world.......

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Oh my
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM
4 moms liked this

your world sucks lol

Quoting Moki75:

welcome to my world.......

Master_Debater
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
67 moms liked this
I'd honestly say, Have you raised a child with autism? No, then shut the hell up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elkmomma
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup the ignorance in the world ofbliss.  My sister told me that if I just whooped his ass more often he wouldn't be the way he is.   I finally got hold of some pamphlets and  a couple of other things off the web and left them lying around my parents house where she'll get nosy and read them.  Here's to hope.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM
8 moms liked this

Unfortunately, and my sister isn't the only one with this thinking, many people see a "high functioning" kid with autism and assume mom is faking it to excuse bad behaviour or autism is over diagnosed and therefore somehow not real.

I don't get the mentality.

It is so frustrating.

Quoting Master_Debater:

I'd honestly say, Have you raised a child with autism? No, then shut the hell up.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

oh, wow, your family sounds horrible.  i'm sorry you're having to deal with that.  just keep doing what you're doing...you sound like you're doing great.  

Drochmheas
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM
7 moms liked this

You can't.

Stop trying.

Let me guess - she either has no children, or thinks her children are perfect precious little snowflakes.

(I will say - there are some team sports that might be very good for him.  My children had several teammates on the spectrum, and the coaches accepted them and adapted the regimen.  They couldn't do anything about the national scoring standards, obviously, but those children still competed with the rest of the team)

Master_Debater
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I know. My son is autistic and ugh.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unfortunately, and my sister isn't the only one with this thinking, many people see a "high functioning" kid with autism and assume mom is faking it to excuse bad behaviour or autism is over diagnosed and therefore somehow not real.

I don't get the mentality.

It is so frustrating.

Quoting Master_Debater:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

She has childrenand from all age groups, a ds18, ds13 and ds6months, and she isn't a judgemental mom, furthest from it.  It's why I don't get it!!

It's like she is intentionally being thick on this one subject.

The rest of the family I would expect this (they're assholes really).  But not my own twin.

Quoting Drochmheas:

You can't.

Stop trying.

Let me guess - she either has no children, or thinks her children are perfect precious little snowflakes.

(I will say - there are some team sports that might be very good for him.  My children had several teammates on the spectrum, and the coaches accepted them and adapted the regimen.  They couldn't do anything about the national scoring standards, obviously, but those children still competed with the rest of the team)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)