Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Options:

No way.

Maybe, with divine intervention.

Definitely.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 204

View Results

What do you think - is this realistic?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
ferne3
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I always read it takes 3 days to make a good or bad habit and 7 days ti break it.

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I need the "other" button.  It depends on the age.  It's quicker to change the behavior of younger children.

daughteroftruth
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

that would be it.. lol. i cannot pronounce or spell it, so i avoid doing so on cm.  her ped doesn't feel that meds work either, and personally i don't like the idea at all.  So behavior modification is all we can hope for.  I have been told by someone that a magnesium supplement worked for their daughter, so i'm going to give that a try for dd and see how it works.  But there are times where i cannot get her to stop, so I tell her to pick at her leg hairs instead.. .i hate doing that, but i would rather her do that then pull out all her hair. 

Quoting cristina1122:

That would be trichotillomania, and good luck. I've had it my whole life and as much as my mom tried to "control" it, I just pulled more. I've gotten so good at hiding it so didn't Know for the first year we were together. Also no medication I've ever taken has helped. Not even a little.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

It depends on the child, age, and what the issue is.  Not all children have the same temperament, so while one child is easier to work with, others may have a more defiant will and it may take a while.  The age can play a roll as well, it can be easier to change different behaviors at different ages.  The behavior itself plays a drastic roll as well.. is it a fresh new behavior that can be resolved and redirected quickly, or is it a habit that has been left unchecked for years? 

My dd age 5 has a disorder where she pulls her own hair, to modify this behavior takes constant vigilance and will take a very long time for her to learn to control on her own.  I don't expect it to be a quick resolution. While my youngest has recently started to screech when he doesn't get his way, this behavior may not take long to resolve as it is new and we are jumping right on it.  Now, if it was one of his older brothers, the behavior would have already been resolved as they have a less persistent will then our youngest.

Cafe Amanda
by Head Admin on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

It's often abbreviated/shortened as "trich," which is easier to spell than the full name. :)

I've had this condition since I was 8 and CBT really is your best bet. Have you checked out the info/resources at http://www.trich.org yet? Hugs!

Quoting daughteroftruth:

that would be it.. lol. i cannot pronounce or spell it, so i avoid doing so on cm.  her ped doesn't feel that meds work either, and personally i don't like the idea at all.  So behavior modification is all we can hope for.  I have been told by someone that a magnesium supplement worked for their daughter, so i'm going to give that a try for dd and see how it works.  But there are times where i cannot get her to stop, so I tell her to pick at her leg hairs instead.. .i hate doing that, but i would rather her do that then pull out all her hair. 

Quoting cristina1122:

That would be trichotillomania, and good luck. I've had it my whole life and as much as my mom tried to "control" it, I just pulled more. I've gotten so good at hiding it so didn't Know for the first year we were together. Also no medication I've ever taken has helped. Not even a little.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

It depends on the child, age, and what the issue is.  Not all children have the same temperament, so while one child is easier to work with, others may have a more defiant will and it may take a while.  The age can play a roll as well, it can be easier to change different behaviors at different ages.  The behavior itself plays a drastic roll as well.. is it a fresh new behavior that can be resolved and redirected quickly, or is it a habit that has been left unchecked for years? 

My dd age 5 has a disorder where she pulls her own hair, to modify this behavior takes constant vigilance and will take a very long time for her to learn to control on her own.  I don't expect it to be a quick resolution. While my youngest has recently started to screech when he doesn't get his way, this behavior may not take long to resolve as it is new and we are jumping right on it.  Now, if it was one of his older brothers, the behavior would have already been resolved as they have a less persistent will then our youngest.

ksueditz
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Thank you, I will suggest a journal.
We had a snow day yesterday and he spent the day, playing w/ my girls. I noticed a new patch. My bff keeps his hair longer to "hide" the patches, but sometimes it makes it more noticeable. :(

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Biggest thing has been looking for triggers.  DD pulls when she is in pain, really tiered, or super board.  So if she is sick i keep a very close eye on her, if she starts to pull I find something for her to do with her hands. If she is tiered, i will sit with her and hold her hands and read to her till she falls asleep.  If she is just board, then i find something for her to keep her hands busy.  Keeping her hands busy has been the biggest way to avoid it.  IF your friend can keep a log of when he starts pulling and what is going on when it happens, then knowing his triggers will help a lot.. if dd is sick, i know we are going to have to keep a close eye and keep her busy. 

Quoting ksueditz:

If you don't mind me asking. What are you doing to modify the hair pulling? My bff's son, has anxiety and he pulls his until he has bald "patches."

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

No, change takes time

NiCo86
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

MOST DEFINITELY! My DS is living proof, that in fact I can change an inappropriate behavior of his in, get this, one night!! He is very receptive to our punishment techniques, and knows to take us seriously BECAUSE we have always been consistent and stood our ground.

For example. DS3 is normally a GREAT eater. One night he decided he just 'wasn't hungry' at dinner time, but wanted snacks. he had no snacks and when he was to the point of hungry enough, he ate part of his dinner. Cool beans. next night? He completely refused to eat, even threw a fit. So I gave him the choice "eat this much of your dinner, or you are going straight to bed" He looked right at me, told me "No!" so guess what ... he went straight to bed. Later that night he got out of bed to come out and apologize to us, and he has eaten his dinner every night since,and it's been over two weeks!

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Sometimes.

STVUstudent
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Sure- happens on Supernanny all the time...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM

YEP!  with a well whipped ass!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)