Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Options:

No way.

Maybe, with divine intervention.

Definitely.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 204

View Results

What do you think - is this realistic?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
gilbertgrl627
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I wish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

We sometimes have this problem with our DS. When your DS came out to apologize to you, was it much later?  Did you let/make him eat his dinner then, or send him back to bed?

Quoting NiCo86:

MOST DEFINITELY! My DS is living proof, that in fact I can change an inappropriate behavior of his in, get this, one night!! He is very receptive to our punishment techniques, and knows to take us seriously BECAUSE we have always been consistent and stood our ground.

For example. DS3 is normally a GREAT eater. One night he decided he just 'wasn't hungry' at dinner time, but wanted snacks. he had no snacks and when he was to the point of hungry enough, he ate part of his dinner. Cool beans. next night? He completely refused to eat, even threw a fit. So I gave him the choice "eat this much of your dinner, or you are going straight to bed" He looked right at me, told me "No!" so guess what ... he went straight to bed. Later that night he got out of bed to come out and apologize to us, and he has eaten his dinner every night since,and it's been over two weeks!

NiCo86
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

We sent him to bed at 7 (his normal bedtime being 8:30) and around 8 he came out to apologize. I asked him if he was hungry because his dinner could be warmed up for him, and he said no, he didn't want to eat. We did, however, let him stay up the half hour until is regular bed time because of his sincerity.

Quoting Anonymous:

We sometimes have this problem with our DS. When your DS came out to apologize to you, was it much later?  Did you let/make him eat his dinner then, or send him back to bed?

Quoting NiCo86:

MOST DEFINITELY! My DS is living proof, that in fact I can change an inappropriate behavior of his in, get this, one night!! He is very receptive to our punishment techniques, and knows to take us seriously BECAUSE we have always been consistent and stood our ground.

For example. DS3 is normally a GREAT eater. One night he decided he just 'wasn't hungry' at dinner time, but wanted snacks. he had no snacks and when he was to the point of hungry enough, he ate part of his dinner. Cool beans. next night? He completely refused to eat, even threw a fit. So I gave him the choice "eat this much of your dinner, or you are going straight to bed" He looked right at me, told me "No!" so guess what ... he went straight to bed. Later that night he got out of bed to come out and apologize to us, and he has eaten his dinner every night since,and it's been over two weeks!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I will have to try it next time.  My DS just started to do this from time to time.  Its usually when I make something "new" but something I know he will like.    

Quoting NiCo86:

We sent him to bed at 7 (his normal bedtime being 8:30) and around 8 he came out to apologize. I asked him if he was hungry because his dinner could be warmed up for him, and he said no, he didn't want to eat. We did, however, let him stay up the half hour until is regular bed time because of his sincerity.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting NiCo86:

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

depends on many factors.   if i am talking only of me and my kid.    i would have to say - yes we can change bad behaviors but it might take at least a week or two for the change to really stick.   

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I made my bad cousin good in 5 days. Just be firm, consistent and spakins sure help! His mom was shocked. She didn't think I could do it. She came in and he was playing well, at a nice level and sat down for a few minutes.

Iron_Beauty
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I think it is very possible, if you are consistent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I don't think so, it takes 14 days to break a bad habit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Is there some sort of 5 day program out there that promises this???
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

You can change behavior temporarly in 5 days but I don't think it will last.  Example: Kids that get "spankings"  will probably not do the behavior that they got the spanking for but eventually it will keep returning.  Changing ones behavior I think takes much more time with lots of consistancy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)