Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Options:

No way.

Maybe, with divine intervention.

Definitely.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 204

View Results

What do you think - is this realistic?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

It depends on what behaviors you're trying to change, but there is a definitely possibility. People need to understand that when you're trying to stop a behavior... it's going to increase dramatically at first, and then it's going to slow down and then stop. It's called an extinction burst, and that's where people mess up when trying to changes behaviors. It's very important to be consistent and not give in! 

Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Am in the process of making it so I can change my daughters behavior. She has gotten out of control. Our faults and now its time to change it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

As others have said, it depends on what kind of behavior we are talking about.  Why is it necessary for the behavior to change in such a short time.  How much time do you have to monitor the behavior.  YES, I CAN get behavior to change in that amount of time (and stay changed) but the way I would have to do it would get me blasted on this liberal board.

AustinRonMommy
by Nickhole on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I'm not sure. I do however know that my well behaved children go to their dads house on friday and come home sunday evening acting like they don't even have basic manners.  

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Yes... My sin is proof. We work on a new lesson every week. He's weak points, like crying, fits, listening when first spoke too.

I had a very spoiled child because of a car accident that resulted in me coddling him. So when he reached about 4 1/2, I noticed that he was becoming a brat. So we started changing his behaviors one at a time. It works perfectly. We worked on fits for a week, and they were gone, then whining, then stomping, the back talking...

You can get a brand new kid in a week, but you can change them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Octobersmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

That's up there with my daughters doctor giving me a plan to potty train her completely in 3 days.  Maybe with a VERY compliant child, not with my strong willed girl.

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

It would be more likely with longer time period.  However, if a parent has reasonable consequences for bad behavior and are consisten and kids know the rules then it is very possible, especially with younger kids.  Teenagers may take more time.  But the super Nanny does it all the time.  It is knowing the rules, having consequences for violations of the rules, being consistent and always having consequences, being persistent and taking child back and back and back to the time out chair or to their room or taking away rewards.  But kids need to be complimented on good behavior too so they feel good about good behavior.  Separate the kid and the behavior so you can like the kid but not like the behavior and you know the kid can stop the behavior and it will not be permitted.  Parents are so foolish as when they are consistent and have rules and consequences, the children become so much more pleasant to be with.  It can be a joy.  They do need to know you are the parent and you need to remember it too. 

brannew
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Depends on the behavior.

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Quoting AustinRonMommy:

I'm not sure. I do however know that my well behaved children go to their dads house on friday and come home sunday evening acting like they don't even have basic manners.  

When my kids went to grandparents out in the country, when they came back, we had to retrain them for a day or two. When my foster daughter went to her grandmother's and came back it took a bit longer to get her back to normal. So I do know what you mean. When someone else lets them run wild, you have to reinforce the rules and they push a time or two trying to see if the rules change. The problem with a parent is that if they are not consistent, the kids do this all the time because sometimes the parents just yell and do nothing and other times they give them consequences as usual so they wait and push and push trying to find out where their limits are gain. AMake them short limits so they behave well. You can alway then tell them that you give them permission for something because they have been so good or consider what they ask to decide and tell them why not if you don't let them go somewhere, but then be firm once kids give you their argument and you say no and why. If they argue after that, tell them you said no and that is it. Good luck. Too often people train their dogs better than they do their children and that is a shame as they could be so much fun to be with and for others to have them around. No one wants a nasty fussy child around.
ChunkyMonkey25
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Yes. I've seen it done. 1 2 3 magic :D
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)