Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it possible to change your kid's bad behavior in just 5 days?

Options:

No way.

Maybe, with divine intervention.

Definitely.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 204

View Results

What do you think - is this realistic?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (41-50):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM
if it is, sign me up!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AustinRonMommy
by Nickhole on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Quoting Sweet_Carol_126:

Quoting AustinRonMommy:

I'm not sure. I do however know that my well behaved children go to their dads house on friday and come home sunday evening acting like they don't even have basic manners.  

When my kids went to grandparents out in the country, when they came back, we had to retrain them for a day or two. When my foster daughter went to her grandmother's and came back it took a bit longer to get her back to normal. So I do know what you mean. When someone else lets them run wild, you have to reinforce the rules and they push a time or two trying to see if the rules change. The problem with a parent is that if they are not consistent, the kids do this all the time because sometimes the parents just yell and do nothing and other times they give them consequences as usual so they wait and push and push trying to find out where their limits are gain. AMake them short limits so they behave well. You can alway then tell them that you give them permission for something because they have been so good or consider what they ask to decide and tell them why not if you don't let them go somewhere, but then be firm once kids give you their argument and you say no and why. If they argue after that, tell them you said no and that is it. Good luck. Too often people train their dogs better than they do their children and that is a shame as they could be so much fun to be with and for others to have them around. No one wants a nasty fussy child around.

Exactly. When they go to their dads house they don't have any rules, whereas at my house they do. So it really is a pain.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Dont know, im reading a book right now - dont remember title or author, but it says you can have a totally different teenager in 5 days.  I'll let you know if it works or not! LOL!

skittlesmonster
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

hmmm I should give this a try and let you know in 5 days

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:24 AM

It depends on the child, his age, and what is going on. 

if the child is old enough to know what he is doing, and doesnt have any medical condition, then yes. all it takes is once or twice following through with punishment for older children. 

if the child is younger, it will take longer. if the child has a medical condition, it will take longer if it even happens. 

it all depends. 

disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I've heard those advertised on the radio; the guy I heard says he can change any child's behavior regardless of if they're just spoiled or have a disorder such as ASD or ODD in a few days.  I don't believe him.  Sending a kid to their father's or grandparents and having them come back with new behaviors - yes, I believe a child can get back to their regular behavior quickly.  A child who has significant issues?  No, it takes a lot longer than 5 days.

Quoting lazyd:

Dont know, im reading a book right now - dont remember title or author, but it says you can have a totally different teenager in 5 days.  I'll let you know if it works or not! LOL!

BlessedBeX3
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Consistancy is key. Dont show weakness, that you dont fully believe in what you are standing for, or it will all fall down.

Be strong, confident and firm in your ways, with out yelling or spanking, name calling and yes you can

elkmomma
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

DS is an Aspie kid and yes it is possible to see measurable differences in 5 days with commitment and consistency from the parent for some of the issues that come with a spectrum child.  The key is consistency with all kids.  Just because you see a marked difference in behavior in the 5 days does not mean you can stop the changes we as parents made in order to achieve better behavior either.  This is where the consistency comes in, we  must continue or face the possibility of returning to unfavorable behaviors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Yes. It depends on the child and type of behavior modification being used.
charlene2010
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I hear if takes 21 days to break habits. So I'd say no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured