Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I legally responsible to pay child support?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 192 Replies

Last year my 17 yr. old ds found out he was a father. When he was 15 he hooked up with a 17 yr. old girl and she got pregnant with their son. Last year (when the baby was 4 mos. old) she told him he was a daddy. We took her and the baby in and tired to help them out and allow for my ds to build a relationship with the mother and his new son. She wasn't happy in my home and she and my ds moved in with her parents. Well, because my ds was 16 at the time, it was hard for him to find a job in their small town so he moved back home with us without the girl and their son (she wanted him to leave). Today she text me telling me that she needs my dh and I to start sending her money twice a month to help her support her son. Is it our responsibility to support them? My ds isn't even listed on the baby's birth certificate. I don't know what to do. My ds is desperately trying to find a job so he can help her.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atyou
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I think morally the right thing to do is help.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
7 moms liked this
If you doubt he's the father, get a paternity test. If he is the father, whether he's on the birth certificate or not, he needs to take care of that baby.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

No clue what will happen in your case. But my bil fathered a child when he was 15 (she was 30) and he was ordered to pay $10 a week. He has paid that same amt now for 16years.

singlemom1208
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I ❤ u. You're correct. And I'm glad her son is trying and not being a douche.

I'd get a DNA test and legitimize the baby too

Quoting atyou:

I think morally the right thing to do is help.

nsparky1964
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
No its not your responsibility to support the child..its your sons...the baby momma needs to get a cs order, the judge will set cs up to a minimum wage job if he doesn't have one..regardless...then if he doesn't pay he can be jailed...behind 30k in my state ...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
6 moms liked this

I think until a paternity test is done I wouldn't. I would be willing to drop off diapers, clothes and essentials but no money until paternity is established.

LovelyCorrupt
1 mom liked this
U and dh have no responsibility to pay anything. Like atyou said, its morally right, but morals ain't the law so tell her get a job and fuck off. Ds should be supporting the baby and its not hard to get him added to the birth certificate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mcelly
1 mom liked this
You probably should, that would be the right thing to do.
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM
This is a good idea

Quoting Anonymous:

I think until a paternity test is done I wouldn't. I would be willing to drop off diapers, clothes and essentials but no money until paternity is established.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM
5 moms liked this

I would get a paternity test first.  And if he is for sure the father, then the right thing to do is to help.  Your son should be the one to help, but if it was my grandchild I would want to help and also see the baby.  I'd speak with an attorney to get your son visitation rights, and set up child support, or he will end up owing back support. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN