Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Exh claimed DD even though she lives with me :( *Tax q*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies

GAH I'm annoyed. DD is 5 and exh and I split up when she was 18 months. We technically have 50/50 custody, but he sees her literally one day a week at most, and usually just a few days out of the month. In our divorce decree, it states that I am to claim her on my taxes as long as I pay for her health insurance, which I do. I also pay for childcare. We receive no PA whatsoever. Exh also pays no child support, since we have 50/50 custody. Financially, he is having a really hard time right now, and I don't need CS, so I'm not going to file for it. That may change in the future. 

Anyway, I sent in my taxes on Jan 31. On Feb 5th I think it was, I got an email that my efile was rejected by the IRS because someone had already used my dependent's SSN. WTF? I called exh, and he said he claimed her "accidentally". Um, wtf? I'm pretty pissed, because I pay for everything for her. I am the one who is up at night if she's sick, and if she needs anything, I buy it. I'm a single mother, he doesn't provide for her financially at all, and I do everything on my own. WTF makes him think he has the right to claim her?! So, his refund has already been processed, and he's lying to me about how much he got back, because he says he didn't claim her. Yeah, lol, whatever. I sent my taxes back in yesterday, after I gathered documents like school records, daycare records, health insurance payments, etc. so that I can prove she lives with me. I was going to use some of that money and take her to see Disney on Ice and a trip to the aquarium. He bought a new iPad and T.V. WTF.

Does anyone know how long it will take to hear anything back from the IRS, and how long will it take? I've been on hold with them for 22 minutes now :(. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

it might take up to 90 days to have them get everything straightened out.  then they will go after him for what he claimed that wasn't his to claim, and what amount he got over what he was due as a result of filing a fraudulent return.

and technically, it doesn't even matter what your divorce decree says.  in the eyes of the IRS, the only thing they care about is if you meet their criteria for being able to claim her.  he doesn't, but certified he did when he signed his return.  he should count himself lucky if the only consequences are monetary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN