Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
Makhismommy
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Interesting.

Quoting audreesmama:

Baby food IS considered table food. Anything aside from breastmilk/formula is considered table food. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

I'm talking about baby food. Not table food.

Quoting audreesmama:

No, not really. What about BLW? Babies ONLY NEED breastmilk/formula for the first year. Table foods are just for fun. 

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Oh for goodness sakes, that baby should be eating baby fruits and vegetables now. That's just silly.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

How old is her baby?

now 7 months old

everybody does thing differently

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

You are going to get ripped apart 

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Feeding solids before a certain age and readiness absolutely does have an impact on obesity rates later in life. 6 months is the minimal age to start solids but they are just practice till 1 year and are not needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Makhismommy
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Over baby food???? If thats the case- ppl really take this website way too serious and need something else like theri children to focus on

audreesmama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you looking for information, reassurance...or...?

Quoting Makhismommy:

audreesmama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL You must be new.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Over baby food???? If thats the case- ppl really take this website way too serious and need something else like theri children to focus on

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Not the best reason, but my son only had infant foods for about 2 months for a bit of practice, then we moved on to what ever me and dh where eating......

LovelyMommy24
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Yeah, I was talking about six months not three. Btw, this is also saying solids.

Quoting audreesmama:

Also--

Link

The other study, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), looked at low-income, black mothers — a group that tends to start solids earlier — and found that first-time mothers were likely to feed their babies solids because they thought their “fussiness” meant they needed additional supplementation.

Most of the babies studied — 77% — were fed solids at 3 months; just 6% were exclusively breastfed. Moms who characterized their infants as fussy were twice as likely to feed them solid food and juice at four months. The babies getting solids ahead of schedule were digesting 100 calories a day more than those who weren’t. “It’s very significant for a baby because the typical infant takes in 500 to 700 calories,” says Heather Wasser, a nutrition doctoral student at UNC and the study’s lead author.

Of course, it’s not hard to figure out why moms may fall back on feeding as a soothing strategy; after all, many adults self-soothe by eating. There’s even a term for it: “comfort food.” But if we’re going to stanch the tide of childhood obesity, moms would be better off offering comfort alone and saving the solids for down the line.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/07/babies-who-start-solids-too-early-more-likely-to-be-obese/#ixzz2Mp4kbIcn

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Makhismommy
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

neither just your opinion...you stated it so therefore your finished and i am done replying to you

Quoting audreesmama:

Are you looking for information, reassurance...or...?

Quoting Makhismommy:

FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I was a fugly fat baby. Chunky with rolls... like not normal... I HATE seeing baby pictures of myself. I grew out of it. That was the only fat part of my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)