Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (331-340):
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I can understand delaying and maybe skipping baby "solids" because of nursing. But because she is afraid her baby will be fat? Very skewed. She needs to research.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
essencemarshe
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Your friend sounds like my cousin in law. I think if you take the time to teach your child healthy eating habits. Moderation is the key with anything. Good luck with your weight loss journey!

amynlee
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Call CPS NOW!!!! nd tell your friend to go to therapy! But seriously, STARVING YOUR BABY?? Anna Nicole Smith did that to Danielyn at first..but still just call on her because um..yeah you shouldnt starve your child because your fat.. ((nd i dont mean your..i mean her (=..also good luck on trying to loose the weight i went from 180 to 100 ..get cancer lol thats what helped me!!! ))

momma.meg
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM
ones opinion of what's healthy differs... some babies NEED cereal and baby food because they simply are not getting and I have never seen an overweight baby due to cereals and baby food... just formula yes.... formula is a very fattening supplement to give a baby

Quoting Anonymous:

The word Many is not synonymous with All. Aside from that, peds haven't recommended cereal at 6 weeks for about a decade now. Older peds, maybe. But there is a general consensus that cereal is not needed, and is not healthy.

Quoting momma.meg:

idk why you think all the pedis I know say start them on it at 6 wks

Quoting Anonymous:

The reason she is opting not to isn't the best reason, but infant foods and cereals really are not neccessary. Cereal is definitely not something infants need, and many PED's will tell you not to feed your baby cereal at all.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Umm my oldest was 10.5 lbs at birth and didn't get baby food or rice cereal until 6 months plus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Cereal introduced too early, and too often can actually make a baby smaller than they should be. Cereal fills up a baby tummy way too fast so that they stop eating sooner and will not eat as much/be less hungry. Breast milk/ formula contains all of the fat and nutrients the child needs on that frequent basis. A child will eat less of it when fed cereal and therefor NOT be getting the fat and calories they need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

If a baby is pre-dispositioned ot being overweight or underweight thats what they will be. Its in our genes as to what we will look like. Its in our genes as to how heavy we will be. We can diet and lose weight but if we are predispositioned to being overweight we will not keep that lost weight off. we will have to struggle for the rest of our lives to try to keep it off. Same for people who are too thin. They will try and try to gain weight and it will not happen. My step dad is the perfect example of that. He is 6'7" and only 180lbs. He is super thin and he eats like a horse and drinks ensure and boost and other protein drinks every day. Nothing about his weight changes. He is still rail thin. And yeah I think babies need to have foods the first year of life sometime. It teaches them how to eat. Belive it or not they have to learn how to eat. It doesnt just happen. And we will also be teaching our babies table manners and what its like to experience different textures, smells, tastes. So eating is a learning experience just like walking or talking. So to take that experience away from a baby is wrong. 

Caryss_mommy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I absolutely refuse to give my daughter cereal as I have read it's not necessary, has no nutritional value and is hard to digest. I am also scared to give her anything constipating. But as far as baby food goes, in my opinion, it is necessary for her to be introduced to baby foods when your pediatrician says the time is right so that she will get used to different tastes. That way, maybe she won't be so picky when she gets older and it will be easier to get her to eat fruits and vegetables (I've also heard it's best to start out with vegetables, by the way, because if you offer fruits first she may get used to the sweet taste and won't so much want to eat the vegetables). But this is just my opinion. I have been overweight my whole life and also don't want that for my child. I know the torment it leads to in school, etc. For this reason, I have vowed to TEACH my daughter GOOD eating habits, to be active and excercise, and if she does start to get overweight, taking her to a dietician to keep it in check. But it sounds like your friend is taking it a little overboard. The fact is, if you TEACH her to live a healthy lifestyle, that is the most important thing in the whole world. Especially, if you're living one yourself! :)

If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.

artistic_kitty
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Totaly dumb. My niece was a really chubby baby, I mean her thighs were thicker than my calves. But as soon as she started walking and running (around 1 year old) she started thinning out. Feed them healthy options and make sure they have plenty of play time and it will all work it's self out. Cause you don't wanna end up giving them a complex thinking something is wrong with them. That's how people get eatting disorders. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

when i had my son he weighed 91/2 pounds..when he was 4 months old the milk wasnt helping at night so i gave him baby ceral and he turned out just fine..he isnt over weight at all..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)