Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (341-350):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM
No it usually works because they have a very very hard time digesting it so they stay "full" longer. Same thing with formula...usually formula fed babies sleep in much longer increments because its harder to digest.

Quoting Anonymous:

It doesn't even work! My pedi told me to put cereal in our dds bottle for her reflux- it worked for that but she still got up at night! It's just a coincidence when babies sleep all night and are being bottle fed w cereal

Quoting svolkov:

Agreed

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it was dumb of you to put cereal in your son's bottle just so you could sleep, that being said she is an idiot.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I am still breastfeeding too and agree that is what is best for them.  Some women decide not to breastfeed or are unable to though.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

No baby needs cereal. It is very unhealthy and crap in a box. My babies get their iron and nutrients from breast milk.  It is taylored made for them. Not some artificial food in a box or can of formula.  We introduce solids at 6 months or more in small amounts. It is mostly just for play though until a year. I continue to breastfeed until they self wean.  Raised one child without cereal. Raising another without cereal. So far....they seem to get all their nutrients and iron from my breast milk.  Artificial iron or iron in my breast milk taylored made for them? I will take natural anyday.  Numerous studies have shown cereal is bad for babies.  It ruins their gut and is linked to digestional problems when they reach adulthood.

Quoting misslady80013:

I agree with you.  The infant cereals have iron and other nutrients babies need.  My son is chubby too but I keep feeding him his solids.  Once the baby becomes more active and mobile, they usually lose some of the chubbiness.  Your friend needs to stop being stupid.

Midsummerdawn
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Baby food isn't so much about nutrition as learning to eat and developing heatlhy eating habits for life. Um. How does she expect her to eat adult foods if she doesn't feed them to her now? Delaying could make her a pickier eater and that can lead to real nutrition problems and weight gain. As can hearing about it from mom all her life. 

Now I skipped the cereals and jarred baby foods entirely and went straight to whole foods at six months. I started my babies on raw bananas, avocados, mangos, pears and steamed sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, greens and went from there. I added brown rice and oatmeal after awhile and when he started eating finger foods I made them multigrain pancakes and fed them cubes of steamed or fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grain pasta. They are all great eaters now. Though some of them don't like squash. I don't get it. I love squash.

For the record, in a family of 4 girls, the fattest baby among us is also the tallest, skinniest, sexiest adult woman, even after she had her first child last year. Yes, we all hate my middle sister. Not really. We love her, we're just furiously jealous. And of my children, my eldest daughter was the biggest at 10lbs 11oz at birth and chubby right up until she started walking (a little late because of her chub) she's now a sexy 135 and 5 ft 7inches tall at 20 and makes her money letting people take pictures of her gorgeousness. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

You disagree that there are studies that show a link or you disagree with the studies?

You can disagree with the studies all you want, that's not my problem I didn't do them. All I've said is that there are studies that show a link between formula feeding and obesity, agree with them or don't but you can't argue their existence.

Quoting Mazou80:

Sorry i simply disagree. Totally.

Quoting Anonymous:

Trying to get it on different grounds? No. 

There ARE studies that show that formula fed babies are more likely to become obese children and adults. So it makes sense to me that anything other than breast milk early on could cause obesity.

Quoting Mazou80:

This so wrong!!!!Early introduction of solids is linked to thst result. Not formula milk!stop trying to get this on different grounds!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well formula fed babies ARE more likely to become obese adults, so there's something to it yeah.

dfcinnamon
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The baby needs to be fed on baby cereal, fruits, and milk.  This will not make her fat.  It's either feed her or have being turned into the Child Services for her child being  malnourished.    

faceofanangel33
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

very dumb ~ heavy women run in my family too, I'm heavy, mom is heavy, aunts are both heavy, grandma is heavy, etc.  my daughter was a chubby baby, even though you wouldn't be able to tell that now lol.  she's 6 yrs old and  tall and skinny.  I did baby food with her probably even before 6 months, but i did it right and she loves all kinds of fruits and veggies ~ and to be honest she's not all that big on cake and sweets lol.  Just gotta teach your kid proper nutrition and they'll find things they like.  ^_^

mammajigglypuff
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Actually I think she's smart. Have you ever read the baby food label? I have several friends that skipped baby food and just pureed what they were eating. And a lot of that food is high in sugars and fat so it tastes good to the child.

MomOf5Angels63
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:42 AM

my youngest daughter was 9lbs 11ozs when she was born, and while I attempted to breast feed her, I was not able to keep up with her voracious appetite and feeding schedule of every 2 hours, so within a month I was supplementing with formula, by the 3rd month she was completely on formula.. I should add that from birth she was in the top 98 percentile of size and weight for her age at every checkup.. fully in proportion.. and quite the little 'cherub'.. by 4-5 months her pediatrician told me to add rice cereal to her bottles so she would sleep longer at night so I could actually sleep as well instead of waking every 2-3 hours.. she always had a big appetite and we did not worry about whether she would be heavy as she got older.. 

Flash forward 20 years, she is 4'10" and weighs a whopping 90 lbs soaking wet.. so NO how they are as a baby will not determine how they will be as an adult..

It's the life style you teach them and how you help them maintain an active and healthy.. if you allow them to pig out on junkfood, yes you will have a fat kid and a fat adult.. but as a baby you feed them as needed with an eye on not introducing foods before their young bodies are ready ... rice cereal is great for young babies until they are about a year old.. i wouldn't really suggest baby foods at such a young age because of development in the digestive system is not fully complete.. always check with your pediatrician before making such a great change in your baby's diet..

7-blessings
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Refusing to feed a child anything but formula is dangerous. It causes feeding issues and texture sensitivities. I agree with not feeding baby food, have you read the ingredients in those things? I have 7 children and I have always just given them regular food steamed and pureed, that way I know what is in their food.
Ally25
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Its a greatway for her to breed eating disprders and make her feel as if sbe needs to not eat when she is older.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)