Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (351-360):
MusherMaggie
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Baby-led solids are best, and cereal is no longer recommended as a first food by the AAP. Her reasoning is quite valid.
Mazou80
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Of course I know their existance! In the US it's all about studies. Studies, studies, conflicting studies,studies proving wrong previous studies etc etc..All I say is we shoud be skeptical and take experience in to consideration as well. All I see is vital is healthy habits that we as parents should try to introduce and maintain in our childrens routine. And in some cases genes have a nasty role to play. I strongly believe that bf or ff has the least to say in childrens obesity

Quoting Anonymous:

You disagree that there are studies that show a link or you disagree with the studies?

You can disagree with the studies all you want, that's not my problem I didn't do them. All I've said is that there are studies that show a link between formula feeding and obesity, agree with them or don't but you can't argue their existence.

Quoting Mazou80:

Sorry i simply disagree. Totally.

Quoting Anonymous:

Trying to get it on different grounds? No. 

There ARE studies that show that formula fed babies are more likely to become obese children and adults. So it makes sense to me that anything other than breast milk early on could cause obesity.

Quoting Mazou80:

This so wrong!!!!Early introduction of solids is linked to thst result. Not formula milk!stop trying to get this on different grounds!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well formula fed babies ARE more likely to become obese adults, so there's something to it yeah.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 67 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM
My nephew was almost 10 lbs he is now 14, 6 feet tall pushing 190 lbs. He's not fat it's all muscle. He plays football, runs track, and performs show choir. He weight trains every day and is in great shape. My niece weighed 5lbs 6oz was tiny until fourth grade. She is now 12 pushing 170 lbs. Why am I telling you this? Because, weight of a baby has no effect on what they'll be when they grow up. Get him into sports at a young age and he'll be fine. Don't worry about that now. ... enjoy your baby.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 67 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
My grandma breast fed all her kids and they all were fat. I formula fed my last two and they are thin. My sister breast fed her oldest and she's struggled with weight problems. People are different as well as children. That study sounds biased or flat out wrong.

Quoting Mazou80:

Of course I know their existance! In the US it's all about studies. Studies, studies, conflicting studies,studies proving wrong previous studies etc etc..All I say is we shoud be skeptical and take experience in to consideration as well. All I see is vital is healthy habits that we as parents should try to introduce and maintain in our childrens routine. And in some cases genes have a nasty role to play. I strongly believe that bf or ff has the least to say in childrens obesity

Quoting Anonymous:

You disagree that there are studies that show a link or you disagree with the studies?

You can disagree with the studies all you want, that's not my problem I didn't do them. All I've said is that there are studies that show a link between formula feeding and obesity, agree with them or don't but you can't argue their existence.

Quoting Mazou80:

Quoting Anonymous:

There ARE studies that show that formula fed babies are more likely to become obese children and adults. So it makes sense to me that anything other than breast milk early on could cause obesity.

Quoting Mazou80:

This so wrong!!!!Early introduction of solids is linked to thst result. Not formula milk!stop trying to get this on different grounds!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well formula fed babies ARE more likely to become obese adults, so there's something to it yeah.

scheinsr627
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM
2 moms liked this

actually there are studies showing that the earlier u give baby food and cereal the more likely they r to be overweight as kids and adults. of my 3 nieces and nephews 1 was give cereal in his bottle as a baby and he is a heavier kid. 

teaching them not to overeat after you have stretched their bellies and overfed them is like trying to put the horses back in corral when they r running across the pasture. you have helped to create a problem for your child and now u are telling them this is how u should eat but their bodies are telling them that if they are not overfull then they are not full.

Mazou80
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Thank you!!that is exactly my point!!

Quoting Anonymous:

My grandma breast fed all her kids and they all were fat. I formula fed my last two and they are thin. My sister breast fed her oldest and she's struggled with weight problems. People are different as well as children. That study sounds biased or flat out wrong.

Quoting Mazou80:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mazou80:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mazou80:

Quoting Anonymous:

NYChicago
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Yes, her reasoning is actually not reasonable. Even if you are iverweight a healthy lifestyle for your children will overcome the genes. Tell your friend to educate herself on wellness. The Mercola.com website has some really good information about healthy living and there are a lot of books and articles. Btw, I too gave my daughters a tablespoon of rice cereal in their bottles a little early and now they are long, muscularly lean, extremely healthy 8 year olds.

Quoting Makhismommy:

Just to give you a little background - I gave birth to my son who was 9lbs 12 oz at birth. I will admit I gave him cereal in his bottles a little earlier to help him sleep at night. Now he is almost 6 months and we have started doing foods (fruits and veggies). My friend gave birth to her daughter whom was around 7 lbs. Both myself and friend are on the heavier side as it runs in our family- ( I'm working n losing mine btw) but my friend refuses to feed her daughter infant foods and cereals because she is afraid that her being a chubby baby will make her a chubby and over weight adult. I think that if you teach a healthy lifestyle then you wont have to worry about your child turning into an over weight adult. PLEASE ADD YOUR OPINION -CAUSE I THINK HER REASONING IS DUMB

NYChicago
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Yes, her reasoning is actually not reasonable. Even if you are iverweight a healthy lifestyle for your children will overcome the genes. Tell your friend to educate herself on wellness. The Mercola.com website has some really good information about healthy living and there are a lot of books and articles. Btw, I too gave my daughters a tablespoon of rice cereal in their bottles a little early and now they are long, muscularly lean, extremely healthy 8 year olds.

Quoting Makhismommy:

NYChicago
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Yes, her reasoning is actually not reasonable. Even if you are overweight a healthy lifestyle for your children will overcome the genes. Tell your friend to educate herself on wellness. The Mercola.com website has some really good information about healthy living and there are a lot of books and articles. Btw, I too gave my daughters a tablespoon of rice cereal in their bottles a little early and now they are long, muscularly lean, extremely healthy 8 year olds.

Quoting Makhismommy:

newmommy2012144
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I wonder how many crazy people r in this world!! No matter how but ur frnd will b on top of that list. Its been clearly mentioned by the American ped group that don't under feed ur child during the first year of rapid growth,in fear of obesity. They need more fat than us. But if thr is ne concern talk to ur ped b4 keeping the poor fello hungry. This type of things make me sick!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN