Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your kid be an exchange student?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was an exchange student in high school, I spent a school year in South America, learned Spanish, lived with a host family. My parents paid for it using an education fund, which is usually used for college but can be used for this purpose. When I came back, my school gave me tons of problems but eventually let me test out of some classes since they wouldn't accept any credits from the other school (even though that school was an incredible private school) and I didn't want to stick around for another year of high school. My question is, would you allow your sophomore/junior/senior to be an exchange student for a year?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Yes if they went to Mexico. Their family there. It would be great for them.
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM

If I could afford it, yes. DH is in the military, and we want to be overseas as much as possible, especially when my kids are older (oldest is only 2 right now), because we want them to experience other cultures. Right now, we're in Japan, and I really hope my son picks up some Japanese, since it's so easy for them to learn at his age. 

photo CrimsonRose01_zps0a3a54d8.png
NorthStar09
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. I spent a year in Hungary. That year was more valuable than the rest of high school (which was a total waste of time) put together!

kirita323
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Have you gotten your son around Japanese people? Maybe a tutor. Get him into a martial arts class too if you could, he'd prolly love it and learn some Japanese. Are you in Okinawa? I was there a few years ago and it was beautiful.

Quoting CrimsonRose01:

If I could afford it, yes. DH is in the military, and we want to be overseas as much as possible, especially when my kids are older (oldest is only 2 right now), because we want them to experience other cultures. Right now, we're in Japan, and I really hope my son picks up some Japanese, since it's so easy for them to learn at his age. 

jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Yes I did it in high school. It was an amazing experience
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirita323
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

This is exactly how I feel. I went to a crappy high school. Do you still use Hungarian? Did you have ties to Hungary before going?

Quoting NorthStar09:

Yes. I spent a year in Hungary. That year was more valuable than the rest of high school (which was a total waste of time) put together!

brittney28
by Brittney on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM
3 moms liked this
No, just cause I'm paranoid.lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirita323
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Where did you go? How long were you gone? What would you say you learned from your experience that you would like your kid to learn?

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Yes I did it in high school. It was an amazing experience

kirita323
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:58 PM

What fears would you have? I'm not talking about sending them to Iran or Egypt or anything lol, so besides that.

Quoting brittney28:

No, just cause I'm paranoid.lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

no absolutely not. they can travel and do their own thing once they 18 and out of high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN