Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too depressed to go to school? You've got to be kidding me.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My friend's son is home bound now. Why? He missed 43 days of school last year and over 20 in his first semester this year. This is what they told me the reason was; he gets depressed so he over sleeps then misses the bus and mom is already at work by the time the bus comes so that's that. 

Ugh. I asked if he'd been to the doctor about this and she said no, she just had a meeting with the assistant principal and he was very understanding. Something just doesn't seem right here and it's a shame she isn't concerned with him going to school.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
zoo003
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM

While it may be just an excuse, it might actually be depression, which when severe, can be debilitating.  However, based upon what you have wrote, there is no way to know if he is actually experiencing depression.  Therefore, if I were you, I would not judge what that family is going through since you do not live there.  Hopefully the mother will seek a pediatric psychiatrist and psychologist for him.  It could help a lot.    

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Quoting paganmommy4:

Kids are plagued with depression its so unreal.

1/2 of my senior class was being treated for then maniac depression, I was one of them

The pressure, the parents, the classes ALL of it takes its toll

My daughter suffers from depression and anxiety

Yet I'm sure half of your senior class wasn't home bound and hopefully you guys went to a doctor. Stress does not equal depression.

kelly617
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM

If his story was true..half my graduating class was "depressed" then lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kelly617:

WTF
If your kid is that depressed he needs to see a doctor and get on some meds

But in my opinion this sounds like "teenager syndrome" and he just doesn't wanna get up that early. I would wake his ass up and drive him to school on my way to work...I don't care HOW many hours early he is lol..he can sit in the library and do his homework

Exactly. It's the whole he hasn't gone to the dr thing that gets me. If your kid is too depressed to go to school in the morning something should be done. I don't believe this kid is depressed. I know this kid. He just likes to stay up late and then not get up in the morning.

BabyFetus Ticker

meagn3388
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Sometimes people don't tell other people they're seeing a doctor or family members are seeing a doctor bc a. It's none of their business b. It can give people the wrong impression and c. They don't want ppl judging them or their kid bc they are having a hard enough time dealing with it as it is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cat405
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I dropped out of high school bc depression got the best of me. School is tough, kids are mean. Mom does need to take him to the doc tho.
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Those other kids had more to worry about than I, but we still went to school, we werent excused from life

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

1/2 of my senior class was being treated for then maniac depression, I was one of them

Yet I'm sure half of your senior class wasn't home bound and hopefully you guys went to a doctor. Stress does not equal depression.

meagn3388
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Stress is actually part of depression.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

PoplarGrove
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I'd be more worried that he hasn't seen a doctor than that he isn't going to school.  SO many health problems are masked by depression.  Not to mention that depression, in itself, is debilitating.  The kid needs to see a doctor and a counsellor.  

KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM

If this is such a habit, why doesn't she make sure he is up and ready before she leaves?? Honestly sounds like laziness on her part.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Yes but just because someone is stressed does not mean they are depressed. Work stresses me out but I'm not depressed. They aren't one in the same.

Quoting meagn3388:

Stress is actually part of depression.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)