Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too depressed to go to school? You've got to be kidding me.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My friend's son is home bound now. Why? He missed 43 days of school last year and over 20 in his first semester this year. This is what they told me the reason was; he gets depressed so he over sleeps then misses the bus and mom is already at work by the time the bus comes so that's that. 

Ugh. I asked if he'd been to the doctor about this and she said no, she just had a meeting with the assistant principal and he was very understanding. Something just doesn't seem right here and it's a shame she isn't concerned with him going to school.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Quoting KayelynnsMama:

If this is such a habit, why doesn't she make sure he is up and ready before she leaves?? Honestly sounds like laziness on her part.

She said she would sometimes and he would end up going back to sleep....

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly not trying to be rude, but it's reeeally not your business. There could be a lot of different contributing factors that you don't know about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teal_phoenix
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe he's being bullied.

this was my thought

meagn3388
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Stress can cause a lot of physical, as well as mental issues, depending on the severity. There's clearly more going on then you know. The kid is the only one who truly knows how he feels and what exactly is going on.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes but just because someone is stressed does not mean they are depressed. Work stresses me out but I'm not depressed. They aren't one in the same.

Quoting meagn3388:

Stress is actually part of depression.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

Kids are plagued with depression its so unreal.

1/2 of my senior class was being treated for then maniac depression, I was one of them

The pressure, the parents, the classes ALL of it takes its toll

My daughter suffers from depression and anxiety

Yet I'm sure half of your senior class wasn't home bound and hopefully you guys went to a doctor. Stress does not equal depression.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM
If he is that depressed he needs to be under the care of a dr.
Nynnie
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this
But this is about his life, right? Maybe he's embarrassed and she's respecting him by not telling anyone. Idk where u are, but here being diagnosed depressed by ur mom is not going to stop u from being expelled with that kind of attendence

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nynnie:

If the school is understanding then that's not all of it, and they aren't telling u all of it cuz they don't want u to know

Not likely. She's been pretty open with everything about her life with me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marihla
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM

If it's unfounded, CPS will become involved. Then they'll pay for it.

But if it's true and she's not giving you full answers for the privacy of her family, then that is awful for him.

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM
It's not safe to put a teen on anti depressants. Their brain is not done growing and you don't know how it will effect him.

Quoting kelly617:

WTF
If your kid is that depressed he needs to see a doctor and get on some meds

But in my opinion this sounds like "teenager syndrome" and he just doesn't wanna get up that early. I would wake his ass up and drive him to school on my way to work...I don't care HOW many hours early he is lol..he can sit in the library and do his homework

Nynnie
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Ok, not expelled with those numbers, I thought they were higher, but it still wouldn't be a legitament excuse, and he wouldn't have a license

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nynnie:

If the school is understanding then that's not all of it, and they aren't telling u all of it cuz they don't want u to know

Not likely. She's been pretty open with everything about her life with me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully he HAS been to the doctor. If the school was understanding then maybe there's more to the story than you understand. Depression is real. And it can affect children on a deep sometimes debilitating level.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)