Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too depressed to go to school? You've got to be kidding me.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My friend's son is home bound now. Why? He missed 43 days of school last year and over 20 in his first semester this year. This is what they told me the reason was; he gets depressed so he over sleeps then misses the bus and mom is already at work by the time the bus comes so that's that. 

Ugh. I asked if he'd been to the doctor about this and she said no, she just had a meeting with the assistant principal and he was very understanding. Something just doesn't seem right here and it's a shame she isn't concerned with him going to school.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I'd be depressed if I had to go to a public school, too. I hated it 30 years ago, and I know I would now, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

True, but it's better then them killing themselves. The goal with medications at that age is usually to stabilize. Assuming they have a good psychiatrist. 

Quoting stickyfingers:

It's not safe to put a teen on anti depressants. Their brain is not done growing and you don't know how it will effect him.

Quoting kelly617:

WTF
If your kid is that depressed he needs to see a doctor and get on some meds

But in my opinion this sounds like "teenager syndrome" and he just doesn't wanna get up that early. I would wake his ass up and drive him to school on my way to work...I don't care HOW many hours early he is lol..he can sit in the library and do his homework

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Unless you have ever been so depressed you can't function then you don't understand. It's awful. Your entire body hurts and you get so exhausted just from doing simple things it really can be debilitating
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM
One of the side effects is suicide

Quoting Anonymous:

True, but it's better then them killing themselves. The goal with medications at that age is usually to stabilize. Assuming they have a good psychiatrist. 

Quoting stickyfingers:

It's not safe to put a teen on anti depressants. Their brain is not done growing and you don't know how it will effect him.

Quoting kelly617:

WTF
If your kid is that depressed he needs to see a doctor and get on some meds

But in my opinion this sounds like "teenager syndrome" and he just doesn't wanna get up that early. I would wake his ass up and drive him to school on my way to work...I don't care HOW many hours early he is lol..he can sit in the library and do his homework

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM
I would be concerned about it if he were my friend's child. Mental illness isn't something you should just shrug off as "no big deal." Especially when it's one that is getting in the way of someone achieving success.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strangeyfine
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I'm not even gonna lie...that was funny.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

It doesn't sound like it was any of your business.

Oh that's right I forgot we were on Cafemom where no one ever talks about stuff that isn't their business.

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My senior year I had to drop out because I felt so down I couldn't get up, literally! Come to find out I had mono but the school still wouldn't let me finish my year even though I was completing my work from home without even a teachers help for over a month. Even with mono all of my work was turned in on time! Anyways my point is there could be more to the story!
sonnyswoman75
by Malisa on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM
As a mother she should be very converned
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Well, as someone with sever depression I can tell you that going to school was actually quite hard for me.

I couldn't concentrate, nor did I have the energy to study. I would hit serious lows and skip class and hide in the bathroom or stop talking completely to everyone and just sit staring at my paper.
It's hard to function when you're depressed.

The fact that the mother hasn't taken him to see a doctor concerns me more then his principal letting him go home bound.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

... would you like fries with that?? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured