Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too depressed to go to school? You've got to be kidding me.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My friend's son is home bound now. Why? He missed 43 days of school last year and over 20 in his first semester this year. This is what they told me the reason was; he gets depressed so he over sleeps then misses the bus and mom is already at work by the time the bus comes so that's that. 

Ugh. I asked if he'd been to the doctor about this and she said no, she just had a meeting with the assistant principal and he was very understanding. Something just doesn't seem right here and it's a shame she isn't concerned with him going to school.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I know a mom who has a son who rarely goes to school.  She doesn't cite depression as the cause, just that she can't make him get up on time.  He does gaming well into the night and then sleeps most of the day.  The school seems to be okay with it as he is of age he can drop out and most likely will. 

SoInLove515
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:50 AM
This. She may not be telling you everything, because she doesn't have to answer to you.

Quoting soph324:

Maybe there's more to the story and it's none of your business.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:50 AM

That's not true for all medications. And generally if it is an ssri, the child would be monitored closely. Sometimes an antidepressant can cause a manic episode if the child actually has undiagnosed bipolar d/o. a manic episode is more likely to result in an impulsive suicide attempt. The psych SHOULD have parents monitor vigilantly for changes in mood. In residential treatment they usually aren't even able to leave until they have been monitored after being given a medication.  I understand why parents are afraid of medication, I would only use it as a last resort. But I don't think it should be ruled out automatically. Sometimes the benefits far outweigh the risks. Ecspecially with teens suffering severe depression. It's important for parents to be really educated and not be afraid to ask questions. 

Quoting stickyfingers:

One of the side effects is suicide

Quoting Anonymous:

True, but it's better then them killing themselves. The goal with medications at that age is usually to stabilize. Assuming they have a good psychiatrist. 

Quoting stickyfingers:

It's not safe to put a teen on anti depressants. Their brain is not done growing and you don't know how it will effect him.

Quoting kelly617:

WTF
If your kid is that depressed he needs to see a doctor and get on some meds

But in my opinion this sounds like "teenager syndrome" and he just doesn't wanna get up that early. I would wake his ass up and drive him to school on my way to work...I don't care HOW many hours early he is lol..he can sit in the library and do his homework

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:03 AM
It's pretty hard to monitor mood changes in a depressed teen. And there are other side effects too there is jitteriness and just a numb feeling inside like nothing matters. My son was on a few different kinds. They all made him worse. He refused to take it anymore. He wanted to kill himself and my ex husband. So you can understand why I would be against them. You only know how they feel if they are telling you.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's not true for all medications. And generally if it is an ssri, the child would be monitored closely. Sometimes an antidepressant can cause a manic episode if the child actually has undiagnosed bipolar d/o. a manic episode is more likely to result in an impulsive suicide attempt. The psych SHOULD have parents monitor vigilantly for changes in mood. In residential treatment they usually aren't even able to leave until they have been monitored after being given a medication.  I understand why parents are afraid of medication, I would only use it as a last resort. But I don't think it should be ruled out automatically. Sometimes the benefits far outweigh the risks. Ecspecially with teens suffering severe depression. It's important for parents to be really educated and not be afraid to ask questions. 

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

True, but it's better then them killing themselves. The goal with medications at that age is usually to stabilize. Assuming they have a good psychiatrist. 

Quoting stickyfingers:

It's not safe to put a teen on anti depressants. Their brain is not done growing and you don't know how it will effect him.

Quoting kelly617:

WTF

But in my opinion this sounds like "teenager syndrome" and he just doesn't wanna get up that early. I would wake his ass up and drive him to school on my way to work...I don't care HOW many hours early he is lol..he can sit in the library and do his homework

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Sounds like in your case they weren't helpful or they couldn't find him a good mix that actually helped him. I understand why you' d be afraid of them after that. Aggression and that kind of stuff can result from ssri's sometimes. It's very scary. But again it shouldn't be ruled out for everyone. It can help a lot in stabilizing severe mood disorders in teens who seriously can't cope without it.  I have seen it save and change lives completely. How is your son now?

Quoting stickyfingers:

It's pretty hard to monitor mood changes in a depressed teen. And there are other side effects too there is jitteriness and just a numb feeling inside like nothing matters. My son was on a few different kinds. They all made him worse. He refused to take it anymore. He wanted to kill himself and my ex husband. So you can understand why I would be against them. You only know how they feel if they are telling you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting kelly617:

WTF

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM
He is 18 and he is "better" but I think he will always struggle. He does get very depressed still but he works hard he has anxiety too but refuses to take anything. He has moved out now and I have a feeling he is self medicating for his anxiety if you know what I mean.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like in your case they weren't helpful or they couldn't find him a good mix that actually helped him. I understand why you' d be afraid of them after that. Aggression and that kind of stuff can result from ssri's sometimes. It's very scary. But again it shouldn't be ruled out for everyone. It can help a lot in stabilizing severe mood disorders in teens who seriously can't cope without it.  I have seen it save and change lives completely. How is your son now?

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting kelly617:

WTF

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Oh no. That's no good. Has he ever tried counseling? It could give him coping skills and help him work through his depression in a healthy way. Hopefully eliminating the feeling that he needs to get high or stoned to cope. It could help. I'm sure that'd be a tough sale for an 18 y/o boy though...

Quoting stickyfingers:

He is 18 and he is "better" but I think he will always struggle. He does get very depressed still but he works hard he has anxiety too but refuses to take anything. He has moved out now and I have a feeling he is self medicating for his anxiety if you know what I mean.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting kelly617:

WTF

crumpy_gat
by No. on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM

stfu

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Years of counseling. Many many different ones. We did have a good one finally and he is smart. He makes it like he is fine so after awhile she said he is good to go.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh no. That's no good. Has he ever tried counseling? It could give him coping skills and help him work through his depression in a healthy way. Hopefully eliminating the feeling that he needs to get high or stoned to cope. It could help. I'm sure that'd be a tough sale for an 18 y/o boy though...

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting kelly617:

WTF

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Oh he's clever. Well, maybe when he's older he'll seek it out on his own if he feels like he needs it. It's hard for teens when they feel like they are being "made" to go. They can be pretty resistant. It's good that you got him in counseling so now he knows that's an option if he ever needs help later. Hopefully he'll think of it. :)

Quoting stickyfingers:

Years of counseling. Many many different ones. We did have a good one finally and he is smart. He makes it like he is fine so after awhile she said he is good to go.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting stickyfingers:

Quoting kelly617:

WTF

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)