Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too depressed to go to school? You've got to be kidding me.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My friend's son is home bound now. Why? He missed 43 days of school last year and over 20 in his first semester this year. This is what they told me the reason was; he gets depressed so he over sleeps then misses the bus and mom is already at work by the time the bus comes so that's that. 

Ugh. I asked if he'd been to the doctor about this and she said no, she just had a meeting with the assistant principal and he was very understanding. Something just doesn't seem right here and it's a shame she isn't concerned with him going to school.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Replies (51-53):
TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:55 AM
My son basically missed three years of school due to major depression. He was fornally diagnosed, in therapy, and on medications. School isn't the priority when you have to worry each day if that will be the day your child kills himself.

Depression can be a huge issue and definitely affect the ability to go to school. It can be debilitating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Is it possible he's been to the doctors? I've been on anti depressants since the beginning of Dec, but sadly, there's some days where I just can't get out of bed and take my son to school. I lay in bed day and night. Its not as bad now, but the only thing that pushed me to see a doctor was me trying to kill myself. If that never happened, I wouldn't have went for help.

Quoting kelly617:

WTF
If your kid is that depressed he needs to see a doctor and get on some meds

But in my opinion this sounds like "teenager syndrome" and he just doesn't wanna get up that early. I would wake his ass up and drive him to school on my way to work...I don't care HOW many hours early he is lol..he can sit in the library and do his homework

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM
I actually went through it when I was in college. I had a lot going on and the Dr couldn't find the correct dose of meds to give me. And I basically gave up and would stay in my room all day I couldn't even get out of bed with out feeling sick, or like I was gonna pass out. my dh boy friend at the time stepped in and pretty much drug me to the Dr to get help
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)