Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is baby food 'crap'?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 122 Replies
Serious question, why is jarred baby food called 'crap' on here so much? Not the cereal stuff, I total understand why that is crap, but the jarred food, isn't it usually just a fruit or veggie and water? Do they do something to ruin it while cooking it? You'd think it would e good for babies over 6 months. I also know that many people say 'make it yourself' but unless you buy from a framers market (lucky you, I'm jealous) chances are your local markets 'fresh produce' has less nutritional content then the stuff in the frozen food section.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM
3 moms liked this
Its just a rip off I think. So much easy and cheaper to make your own. OMG a baby bullet is so freaking awesome I LOVE THEM!!!!! lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Phoenix2011
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM
A lot of them are filled with sugar and extra crap to help keep it preserved.
teal_phoenix
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Quoting mlg1989:

Its just a rip off I think. So much easy and cheaper to make your own. OMG a baby bullet is so freaking awesome I LOVE THEM!!!!! lol

I wanted one . Dh thinks it's no better than a food processer...but then my baby is 9 months in a few days so it won't matter now.

mizkriz73
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I had more fun making my own. I knew what was in it and I knew my child would eat it. I didn't think it was all that hard to do. Our babies used to love bananas in their oatmeal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Yes, I know Gerber has its own farms. I imagine you'd have to be very careful to buy organic to make your own. My boys ate jars and jars of that stuff. LOL My dd had more discriminating tastes, however. She would not eat any of it. She went straight to table foods, once she decided she wanted it. If I hadn't breastfed her, I think she would have starved to death. Picky, picky little girl!

justone_jen
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I read the ingredients and nutrition facts and decided to just use the same produce and meat we eat. Plus, it's expensive. We've never done pureed.
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It has to be preserved some way to have such long shelf life.
I have done both store bought and homemade. Prefered making my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Well it basically IS a food processor but it comes with those cool little containers with the twist date thing on it so it made it very easy to take with us and store. Along with keeping track of the date! I sold mine on craigslist though. Lol

Quoting teal_phoenix:

Quoting mlg1989:

I wanted one . Dh thinks it's no better than a food processer...but then my baby is 9 months in a few days so it won't matter now.

LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM
It's the preservatives that bother me the most. Some do have extra sugar, which infants don't need. Also, some have trace amounts of other ingredients in them. That may not be a problem for most, but my son is allergic to both dairy and soy, so its an issue for me. I used jarred baby food with my oldest, but then again, that girl eats anything. ;) my second hated jarred food, so I made his. My youngest has his allergies, so I'm delaying solids. Really, its to each their own in the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM
But don't they have to put that on the ingredient list? All the stuff I've ever seen (Gerber) is always just fruit, water and sometimes ascorbic acid for vitamin C
Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

A lot of them are filled with sugar and extra crap to help keep other preserved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)