Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm thinking about stopping regular check-ups for my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have never been a big fan of doctors. I have always felt that they interfere with the natural human body in ways that aren't necessary or healthy. I myself don't go to the doctor unless I'm very sick. Maybe once a year I really need antibiotics or something, but I don't go in unless I have to. Its annoying when I do see a doctor becuase they always push me to make an appointment to have some exam done. I have taken my son to all of his well child visits so far and he has had all his immunizations ( although I think they gave him way to many), but now that he is almost 5 I am leaning toward stopping the constant check-ups when nothing is wrong. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Replies (101-110):
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

we dont do that anymore,    i see the doctor as a germ fest!   we avoid because of the type of super germs you find in doctors offices and hospitals and the fact that they can kill you - we would go if sick,   but if not sick and he is healthy - why do that?   its not like the dentist where cleanings prevent cavities!    it prevents very little if they just look at you.   

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Well....they only need one check up a year at age 5.....so it seems kinda like a nonissue now...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I agree. we use clove oil for ear infections. And natural remidies can be used for almost everything. 

Quoting mylifemylove864:

It seems like a lot of parents take their kids to the doctor every time they get the sniffles. And some doctors will prescribe antibiotics or something like a steriod or cough medicine with codeine just so the parent shuts up. Its ridiculous.

We don't go unless they have had a fever for more than 3-5 days or something specific comes up that probably needs antibiotics like I hear wheezing in dd7s lungs along with a high fever... She gets pneumonia easily.

We have avoided antibiotic use for ear infections over the last year by using breastmilk instead.

Quoting Anonymous:

She is 9. yeah we drink bottled water. i guess sometimes we get the fluoride because i do cook with the tap water. 

A lot of kids are given steroids these days when they have respiratory illness. its given out as often as antibiotics. and its way too much imo. 

many parents dont know much medical information. but i do agree with her that antibiotics and steroids arent always nessisary. 

but you are right. and we dont know everything, for all we know her child needs all the treatments  he has been getting. 

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

Thats great! I cant help what they put in drinking water, i just know thats why they will prescribe it. But, it is probably an issue for the poster because drs know that it can be harmful, they wouldn't hand it out for no reason. I have to jump through hoops to get mine refilled every month. I don't think the poster knows much medically speaking because the kid obviously has some issues she isn't seeing if he was given a steroid and is only 5 y/o. 

What does your girl drink (assuming bottled water?) and how old is she BTW? I didn't have a cavity until I was 18 :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Its in the drinking water. Therefore it is ingested. It doesn't take much to start its problems. 

my DD has never had cavities, and she has never had fluoride. 

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

Eat as in swallow. If it is in toothpaste form the kid wouldnt be swallowing it, that is IF she is watching him brush his teeth which I seriously doubt she is as most parents don't. I never had a cavity until we moved out to the sticks and had well water and haven't had one since I started the floride toothpaste. That's why it is prescribed.

Quoting Anonymous:

You dont have to EAT it for it to hurt you. 

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

I never said it was fantastic to eat. She asked why it would be prescribed, I answered to why. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually fluoride is HORRIBLE for you. Yes it protects your teeth. Great. But it destroys the rest of your body. 

It makes you sick. And it can cause sterilization. 

But given that it is still up in the air as far as facts go, i suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. 

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

It strengthens your teeth and helps prevent cavities. It isn't found in children's toothpaste because they tend to swallow it. If the child live in an area where there is "city" or "tap" water flouride is added, but well water and bottled water do not contain it. I use Rx fluoride toothpaste myself.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never heard of this at all. Why would fluoride need to be given? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course they prescribed fluoride if your water source does not have fluoride, as in a well.  My kids have been prescribed fluoride forever.  But we chose not to take it.  If you take your children to the dentist, they will sometimes offer a fluoride prescription.  Would you then stop taking them to the dentist?  Steroids are NOT routinely prescribed for a well child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Flouride.

Quoting Anonymous:

Doctors do not prescribe medication for children that are well. So if you took your supposedly 'well' child to the doctor and he was prescribed medication, he was not, in fact, healthy. He was sick. Denying the child medical care is absolutely stupid. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Oh and I can trup you.
I havent been to any doc for a non pregnancy related issue in well over 10 years
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM
They wouldn't give a medication if it weren't necessary.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

mylifemylove864
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I hate them but they are life saving.

Quoting Anonymous:

They told me for a healthy woman in my age group its due every 2 years. This birth control implant is good for 3 and they require the exam to be current or they won't prescribe birth control. I wouldn't use it but I don't want any more kids.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

I only asked because I have a friend from high school who died from cervical cancer last year. She was only 30 years old. Once she was diagnosed she had a month left.

Pap smears are very important.

Quoting Anonymous:

I got a pap smear 2 years ago when I had this impanon put in. Its good for another year so when I go back in a year to get a new one they will do another one then. They require a current exam to be on file before you can get birth control.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Please tell me you ateast get yearly pap smears?

And if your sons doctor is pushing things you don't like, get a new Dr. All they have ever done at well child visits are basic exams for my kids.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

That's awesome! If I may ask, how do you get rid of a sinus infection without going in for antibiotics?

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

Oh and I can trup you.
I havent been to any doc for a non pregnancy related issue in well over 10 years

woodswalker
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It was at a regular well-child check up that my nieces neuroblastoma was detected early enough to save her life.

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My daughters have not had a check up in almost 4 years. Healthy as can be. In fact this last month was the first time in the 4 years they needed to be seen by a dr. They are going in for a check up this month though because my 12 yo needs a sports physical.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I don't vax or take my kids to many check-ups.  That doesn't make me a bad mother!! I weigh, measure, and care for my children on my own.  I don't need to expose my kids no unneccessary viruses and tests.  If anyone dares to try and take my kids from me for this, I will use every last ounce of my power to make their life a living hell.  My children's health and well-being is my number one priority.  And I won't do it the way "society feels fit". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)