Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm thinking about stopping regular check-ups for my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have never been a big fan of doctors. I have always felt that they interfere with the natural human body in ways that aren't necessary or healthy. I myself don't go to the doctor unless I'm very sick. Maybe once a year I really need antibiotics or something, but I don't go in unless I have to. Its annoying when I do see a doctor becuase they always push me to make an appointment to have some exam done. I have taken my son to all of his well child visits so far and he has had all his immunizations ( although I think they gave him way to many), but now that he is almost 5 I am leaning toward stopping the constant check-ups when nothing is wrong. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Other than vaccinations, what kind of shot would the doctor be giving your son during a well-child check up?  What kind of medication?  You always have the right to refuse any shot or medication.

My kids have well-child check ps every year (they are 10 and 17) and we have always scheduled vaccinations for a different appointment.  I like that they see the same doctors and have established a relationship with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Yeah right. No cps worker is going to remove a healthy non-abused child from a home just because he/she didn't get a check-up. Get real. Cps has barely enough funding for the kid's who ACTUALLY need help.

Quoting paganmommy4:

BTW, If there was ever CPS involvement they can and do remove children for Refusal of Medical Treatment that includes well child check-ups

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Doctors do not prescribe medication for children that are well. So if you took your supposedly 'well' child to the doctor and he was prescribed medication, he was not, in fact, healthy. He was sick. Denying the child medical care is absolutely stupid. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Last time we went in he prescribed flouride for his teeth and steriod.

Quoting Anonymous:

Other than vaccinations, what kind of shot would the doctor be giving your son during a well-child check up?  What kind of medication?  You always have the right to refuse any shot or medication.

My kids have well-child check ps every year (they are 10 and 17) and we have always scheduled vaccinations for a different appointment.  I like that they see the same doctors and have established a relationship with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM

They just did it to me.. I am currently fighting this at the moment. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah right. No cps worker is going to remove a healthy non-abused child from a home just because he/she didn't get a check-up. Get real. Cps has barely enough funding for the kid's who ACTUALLY need help.

Quoting paganmommy4:

BTW, If there was ever CPS involvement they can and do remove children for Refusal of Medical Treatment that includes well child check-ups

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Flouride.

Quoting Anonymous:

Doctors do not prescribe medication for children that are well. So if you took your supposedly 'well' child to the doctor and he was prescribed medication, he was not, in fact, healthy. He was sick. Denying the child medical care is absolutely stupid. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:06 AM
5 years?? My daughter is 20 months and hasnt seen the doc since 12 months. :P she doesnt get shots and never will. One checkup a year will suffice. And your kid is going to be targeted for vaccines for a gooood long while. 5 years are the "kindergarten boosters"..annual flu shots.. 7th grade is the tdap booster.. 9 years old is the hpv vaccine..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:07 AM

That's absurd. Every state has religous exemptions.

Quoting paganmommy4:

They just did it to me.. I am currently fighting this at the moment. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Both kids are were there is no flouride in the water hence them getting prescriptions for it and doctors do what they feel necessary for the kid.. You seem like you're going to be one of those freaks who does more harm than good to their kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM
I haven't taken my kids in a couple of years. I just made an appointment to do it today! They are older, though. 11 and 15. I always took them for the yearly visit when they were younger. Until at least 8. I don't see the point in really taking them now, but they rarely get sick so when I need something its kind of a pain to get them in since they never go. So, yearly check up for us is more like a yearly check in at this point.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)