Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm thinking about stopping regular check-ups for my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have never been a big fan of doctors. I have always felt that they interfere with the natural human body in ways that aren't necessary or healthy. I myself don't go to the doctor unless I'm very sick. Maybe once a year I really need antibiotics or something, but I don't go in unless I have to. Its annoying when I do see a doctor becuase they always push me to make an appointment to have some exam done. I have taken my son to all of his well child visits so far and he has had all his immunizations ( although I think they gave him way to many), but now that he is almost 5 I am leaning toward stopping the constant check-ups when nothing is wrong. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Replies (111-120):
Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I actually used to get them constantly. So much so they did ct scans.
After about 2 years on almost constant antibiotics the doc said the best thing was to stop antibiotics all together. Told me the next year of my life would suck and to come in for stuff to help with symptoms.
I havent had an actuall sinus infection since 2 years after that. I owe that doc alot
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I don't take mine unless there is something wrong with him, which there never is. It just seems like a waste of time, both ours and the doc's. No reason for him to have to wait in the lobby, finally be called back, be asked what's wrong, and say "Nothing...it just was time to bring him in". I just don't see the point in it.

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I pretty much did that too.  My daughter does not like doctors and we only go when we need to.

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM
See above I forgot to hit quote

Quoting Anonymous:

That's awesome! If I may ask, how do you get rid of a sinus infection without going in for antibiotics?

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

Oh and I can trup you.

I havent been to any doc for a non pregnancy related issue in well over 10 years

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

What kind of things did you do to help? I get them once or twice a year and if I catch it early I can usually ward it off with steamy showers and white flower oil.

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

After about 2 years on almost constant antibiotics the doc said the best thing was to stop antibiotics all together. Told me the next year of my life would suck and to come in for stuff to help with symptoms.
I havent had an actuall sinus infection since 2 years after that. I owe that doc alot

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

My son is going to be 7 and he hasn't been to the dr in 2 years. I can't afford to take him to the dr for them to tell me he is perfectly healthy.

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Nothing.
I just dont get them.
Occasional head cold with snuffles. Nithing an otc decongestant cant get me through.

When I was detoxing from antibiotics I would take rx nasal spray and stuff with codine in it

Quoting Anonymous:

What kind of things did you do to help? I get them once or twice a year and if I catch it early I can usually ward it off with steamy showers and white flower oil.

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Do you know how life was before doctors and modern medicine? Lots of people were sick and died of silly things. It's always better to do check ups (even when they are healthy) because doctors can catch things that you don't know about. That is why they go to school for years. I don't understand this seemingly new movement of not trusting doctors. 

MomofHDFandNWF
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I can understand you not wanting "constant" check-ups if there is nothing that you are concerned about... but I do think you should keep taking him to his yearly check-ups.  They are there for a reason, and then if you have any other concerns, make an additional appointment as needed.

Do you go to your annual physical/pap smear every year?  If you don't go to those, and something winds up happening (God forbid, you wind up with some sort of cancer that could have been caught easier); then that is on you - it is your body, your choice.  But, consider his yearly WCC as basically being the same thing for him...

Right now, my daughter (7) goes once a year unless she needs some other care or antibiotics.  My son is still going every 3-6 months because he is under 2.  I, myself, go every 3 months to my PCP and every 6 months to my nuerologist because I am under a year since being diagnosed with a seizure disorder, so we are still working on my medication list - what I should be taking and how much.  Hopefully, those won't continue much longer, but I don't mind right now as it allows me to ask questions and get answers every few months VS waiting a year and either forgetting 1/2 my questions or going in with a huge laundry list! 

Mystres
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

You can refuse shots.

I did the last visit i had.  I told them the ones i was ok with and the ones i wasnt.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured