Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm thinking about stopping regular check-ups for my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have never been a big fan of doctors. I have always felt that they interfere with the natural human body in ways that aren't necessary or healthy. I myself don't go to the doctor unless I'm very sick. Maybe once a year I really need antibiotics or something, but I don't go in unless I have to. Its annoying when I do see a doctor becuase they always push me to make an appointment to have some exam done. I have taken my son to all of his well child visits so far and he has had all his immunizations ( although I think they gave him way to many), but now that he is almost 5 I am leaning toward stopping the constant check-ups when nothing is wrong. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Replies (121-130):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

They tried to remove my kids from me.

I was forced to have them fully immunized within 24 hours of the initial visit and a statement from their dr stating that they had had their vaccinations, would be kept on track with the visits, or my rights would have been revoked. I did it but I was PISSED.

My 3 year olds 3 year well child was sceduled for a week after his birthday. OK 10 days, and the worker pulled in to take him.

They've never missed a well child visit, but I didn't vax. At all.

Quoting paganmommy4:

They just did it to me.. I am currently fighting this at the moment. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah right. No cps worker is going to remove a healthy non-abused child from a home just because he/she didn't get a check-up. Get real. Cps has barely enough funding for the kid's who ACTUALLY need help.

Quoting paganmommy4:

BTW, If there was ever CPS involvement they can and do remove children for Refusal of Medical Treatment that includes well child check-ups

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I don't do check-ups for me. I only go if I get sick and it isn't something I can cure or get over on my own.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I can understand you not wanting "constant" check-ups if there is nothing that you are concerned about... but I do think you should keep taking him to his yearly check-ups.  They are there for a reason, and then if you have any other concerns, make an additional appointment as needed.

Do you go to your annual physical/pap smear every year?  If you don't go to those, and something winds up happening (God forbid, you wind up with some sort of cancer that could have been caught easier); then that is on you - it is your body, your choice.  But, consider his yearly WCC as basically being the same thing for him...

Right now, my daughter (7) goes once a year unless she needs some other care or antibiotics.  My son is still going every 3-6 months because he is under 2.  I, myself, go every 3 months to my PCP and every 6 months to my nuerologist because I am under a year since being diagnosed with a seizure disorder, so we are still working on my medication list - what I should be taking and how much.  Hopefully, those won't continue much longer, but I don't mind right now as it allows me to ask questions and get answers every few months VS waiting a year and either forgetting 1/2 my questions or going in with a huge laundry list! 

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

So, you must not be on any medications that you need a yearly prescription OR you have a very lax Dr office that is willing to renew prescriptions without seeing you in person?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't do check-ups for me. I only go if I get sick and it isn't something I can cure or get over on my own.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I can understand you not wanting "constant" check-ups if there is nothing that you are concerned about... but I do think you should keep taking him to his yearly check-ups.  They are there for a reason, and then if you have any other concerns, make an additional appointment as needed.

Do you go to your annual physical/pap smear every year?  If you don't go to those, and something winds up happening (God forbid, you wind up with some sort of cancer that could have been caught easier); then that is on you - it is your body, your choice.  But, consider his yearly WCC as basically being the same thing for him...

Right now, my daughter (7) goes once a year unless she needs some other care or antibiotics.  My son is still going every 3-6 months because he is under 2.  I, myself, go every 3 months to my PCP and every 6 months to my nuerologist because I am under a year since being diagnosed with a seizure disorder, so we are still working on my medication list - what I should be taking and how much.  Hopefully, those won't continue much longer, but I don't mind right now as it allows me to ask questions and get answers every few months VS waiting a year and either forgetting 1/2 my questions or going in with a huge laundry list! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I'm not on any meds. I usually go to the walk in clinic if I need something.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

So, you must not be on any medications that you need a yearly prescription OR you have a very lax Dr office that is willing to renew prescriptions without seeing you in person?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

If that is the case, and you decide to stop having him go, I wish you both the best of luck and years of health!  Better you than me, IMHO....

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not on any meds. I usually go to the walk in clinic if I need something.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

He may have needed flouride for his teeth if there isn't enough in your water.  A lot of children do.  He must have had a medical condition or illness if they prescribed steroids though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Last time we went in he prescribed flouride for his teeth and steriod.

Quoting Anonymous:

Other than vaccinations, what kind of shot would the doctor be giving your son during a well-child check up?  What kind of medication?  You always have the right to refuse any shot or medication.

My kids have well-child check ps every year (they are 10 and 17) and we have always scheduled vaccinations for a different appointment.  I like that they see the same doctors and have established a relationship with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I'd keep taking him to his yearly visits....IMO it's better to be careful while he's young.  I think it's fine if you're not a big fan of doctors, but your son is young and you should do the well-child visits as a precautionary measure.  When he's older and if you still feel this way, you could discuss your opinion with him and possibly revisit your decision.

funlovinlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

If my kids are healthy I don't take them. My pediatrician loves us because I'm not in there semi weekly over stupid crap like a lot of parents are, she knows if I'm there I'm actually worried. 

Behindthelense
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I take my daughter once a year unless there is something actually wrong. I myself have to go pretty frequently.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I looked up the exact 'steroid' OP mentioned. It is not a steroid at all. It is a bronchodialator called Albuterol. Albuterol is most often prescribed for bronchitis.

So her 'healthy' child most likely was suffering from bronchitis.

Quoting Anonymous:

He may have needed flouride for his teeth if there isn't enough in your water.  A lot of children do.  He must have had a medical condition or illness if they prescribed steroids though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Last time we went in he prescribed flouride for his teeth and steriod.

Quoting Anonymous:

Other than vaccinations, what kind of shot would the doctor be giving your son during a well-child check up?  What kind of medication?  You always have the right to refuse any shot or medication.

My kids have well-child check ps every year (they are 10 and 17) and we have always scheduled vaccinations for a different appointment.  I like that they see the same doctors and have established a relationship with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)