Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm thinking about stopping regular check-ups for my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have never been a big fan of doctors. I have always felt that they interfere with the natural human body in ways that aren't necessary or healthy. I myself don't go to the doctor unless I'm very sick. Maybe once a year I really need antibiotics or something, but I don't go in unless I have to. Its annoying when I do see a doctor becuase they always push me to make an appointment to have some exam done. I have taken my son to all of his well child visits so far and he has had all his immunizations ( although I think they gave him way to many), but now that he is almost 5 I am leaning toward stopping the constant check-ups when nothing is wrong. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Replies (131-138):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

That's what I've heard but he didn't mention bronchitis. He basically said it was "for his cough" and went on to the next patient. We've had a lot of outbreaks of things and the waiting room was packed with kid's. I always thought bronchitis was a bacteral infection and is treated with antiobotics so I don't know why a steroid would be prescribed for it.

Quoting Sanctimommy:

I looked up the exact 'steroid' OP mentioned. It is not a steroid at all. It is a bronchodialator called Albuterol. Albuterol is most often prescribed for bronchitis.

So her 'healthy' child most likely was suffering from bronchitis.

Quoting Anonymous:

He may have needed flouride for his teeth if there isn't enough in your water.  A lot of children do.  He must have had a medical condition or illness if they prescribed steroids though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Last time we went in he prescribed flouride for his teeth and steriod.

Quoting Anonymous:

Other than vaccinations, what kind of shot would the doctor be giving your son during a well-child check up?  What kind of medication?  You always have the right to refuse any shot or medication.

My kids have well-child check ps every year (they are 10 and 17) and we have always scheduled vaccinations for a different appointment.  I like that they see the same doctors and have established a relationship with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM
We don't really do them after like 18mo. Idt insurance cares.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Bronchitis just means inflammation of the bronchi. The dilator would open his airways a bit.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I've heard but he didn't mention bronchitis. He basically said it was "for his cough" and went on to the next patient. We've had a lot of outbreaks of things and the waiting room was packed with kid's. I always thought bronchitis was a bacteral infection and is treated with antiobotics so I don't know why a steroid would be prescribed for it.

Quoting Sanctimommy:

I looked up the exact 'steroid' OP mentioned. It is not a steroid at all. It is a bronchodialator called Albuterol. Albuterol is most often prescribed for bronchitis.

Quoting Anonymous:

He may have needed flouride for his teeth if there isn't enough in your water.  A lot of children do.  He must have had a medical condition or illness if they prescribed steroids though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Other than vaccinations, what kind of shot would the doctor be giving your son during a well-child check up?  What kind of medication?  You always have the right to refuse any shot or medication.

My kids have well-child check ps every year (they are 10 and 17) and we have always scheduled vaccinations for a different appointment.  I like that they see the same doctors and have established a relationship with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM
If they are just well child exams, what other things are they recommending?

I think it is a good idea, for a lot of reasons, and not just for the most obvious one. To me, showing children how to value your health, and not just when you are sick is an important component to regular health care exams. I also think it is important for kids to have a good relationship with a doctor of some kind, just for a positive association.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM

A steroid was not prescribed. A bronchodilator was.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sanctimommy:

I looked up the exact 'steroid' OP mentioned. It is not a steroid at all. It is a bronchodilator called Albuterol. Albuterol is most often prescribed for bronchitis.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM

If the doctor insists on doing things you disagree with, you need to find a new doctor. I figure thats common sense. I love our doctor; hes a minimalist and only does what needs to be done, prescribes what the kid needs. I actually love going for well child check ups because they tell me where my kid is growth-wise and so forth. (As in my four year old is in the eighty-fifth percentile for his weight-the lowest it's ever been-and literally off the chart in height, meaning hes heavier than eighty-five percent of other four year old's and taller than pretty much all of them. My second son is teeny tiny, precisely opposite my huge four year old)

Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM

By 5, I no longer took my kids in for "regular" checkups.  No need.  They were always klutzy enough that they saw the doctor once a year anyway - and when they needed checkups for school or scouts, I took them in.

And they're very healthy (31, 22, 19 and 18) with no chronic health issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Whatever it was, it wasn't necessary. That wasn't the first cough he's had this winter and it probably won't be the last. He's gotten over all of them without medication.

Quoting Sanctimommy:

A steroid was not prescribed. A bronchodilator was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured