Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm thinking about stopping regular check-ups for my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have never been a big fan of doctors. I have always felt that they interfere with the natural human body in ways that aren't necessary or healthy. I myself don't go to the doctor unless I'm very sick. Maybe once a year I really need antibiotics or something, but I don't go in unless I have to. Its annoying when I do see a doctor becuase they always push me to make an appointment to have some exam done. I have taken my son to all of his well child visits so far and he has had all his immunizations ( although I think they gave him way to many), but now that he is almost 5 I am leaning toward stopping the constant check-ups when nothing is wrong. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course they prescribed fluoride if your water source does not have fluoride, as in a well.  My kids have been prescribed fluoride forever.  But we chose not to take it.  If you take your children to the dentist, they will sometimes offer a fluoride prescription.  Would you then stop taking them to the dentist?  Steroids are NOT routinely prescribed for a well child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Flouride.

Quoting Anonymous:

Doctors do not prescribe medication for children that are well. So if you took your supposedly 'well' child to the doctor and he was prescribed medication, he was not, in fact, healthy. He was sick. Denying the child medical care is absolutely stupid. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Since you appear to have difficulty utilizing the proper spelling for these simple words, I hardly think you would be an expert on what sort of  medicines a doctor might prescribe. You really shouldn't second guess this doctor if you are so uneducated you can't spell the medicines he prescribed for your child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Last time we went in he prescribed flouride for his teeth and steriod.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM

What was the steroid for? Steroids are very rarely prescribed to children, so if one was prescribed it was for a reason.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

How many appointments a year is he going to right now? 

once a year is more than enough after 3. at 5 i dont see why he would need to go very often. 

also, have you thought about changing doctors? why did the doctor prescribe flouride? why was he given steroids? what are the reasons? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM

No it was prescribed by his doctor. I'm sure the dentist would have given it to us but before we moved there was flouride in the tap water. The doctor noticed I updated the address and stuff with the nurse so he wrote the prescription. I'm guessing we don't have it here, but idk.

Quoting Anonymous:

This gets better and better. Your doctor prescribed fluoride for your son. Are you sure you weren't in a dentist's office by mistake? Lmao. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM

i stopped taking my babies to the doctor for well check ups or routine or vaccine appointments when ds2 turned 3 months. and he is almost a year GOOD FOR YOU MAMA

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I hate the doctor too. My daughter was a year late for her 12 month check up and all we heard the whole time was that she's not getting proper nutrition and she's not on the charts and she's way behind in growth.

No shit. She was since the day she was born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM

is there a specific reason you are SO upset and hostile about this post? 

you seem to be over reacting quite a bit. 

Quoting paganmommy4:

I dont care anymore to be a part of this.. I do not care anymore.. When her kid gets a suspicious lump or cancer that could of been caught and treated before its too late,, KARMA

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I have never heard of this at all. Why would fluoride need to be given? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course they prescribed fluoride if your water source does not have fluoride, as in a well.  My kids have been prescribed fluoride forever.  But we chose not to take it.  If you take your children to the dentist, they will sometimes offer a fluoride prescription.  Would you then stop taking them to the dentist?  Steroids are NOT routinely prescribed for a well child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Flouride.

Quoting Anonymous:

Doctors do not prescribe medication for children that are well. So if you took your supposedly 'well' child to the doctor and he was prescribed medication, he was not, in fact, healthy. He was sick. Denying the child medical care is absolutely stupid. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind if the doc just does an exam. But every time I go in there they want to do some other shot or medication. Why can't they just leave his body be?

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your view and don't necessarily disagree with it.  But, if your son goes to school or participates in any kind of sport, camp, club events, they will need to have that check up.  Even if you say that he won't, if the need arrises at a later date, it is much more difficult to get a child in for a check up when they have not been a consistent patient.  To me, well child check up don't hurt.  Basically a check of sight, hearing, heart, height and weight.  If a doctor finds something concerning, you have the ability to chose to have follow up treatment or not.

paknari
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Lol yes you should go back to the times where the average age of death was under 30. We were so much better off then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)