Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have no clue how to feed my baby.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What and how much should a one year old be eating? Is it pretty much anything? This is my first so I'm probably over thinking it but I just don't want to mess up.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Replies (71-79):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Thanks

Quoting JaQuan_Jayla:

Everybody feed their 1 year old different. I would just google it , something like "what to feed a 1 year old that is healthy" lol seriously though . And a 1 year old will know when they full, so when she don't want anymore she will not eat it. My dauhter is a picky eater. She eat homemade oatmeal(I put different fruit in it so she will eat fruits), she eat cream of wheat, grits, usually she just eat soft stuff like that , and pancakes for breakfast , and she also like cereal with milk some days , i try new things whenever i can. 

Websites:

Kidshealth.org

Healthychild.org

babycenter.com

shopping

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM
That's why I held off on lots of foods too. But most people will just do what they think or what some stupid article says they can. They dont think for themselves.

Quoting horseap:

*oh yes I forgot what group I was in let me explain* We kept DD with a virgin/open gut as long as possible.  Started solids at 7 months.  We held off on honey because of the risk of botulism and DS was sick and in the hospital from rota virus.  There isnt a chance in Hell I would even play with the idea of trying it and DD getting sick.  So we held off.  Many dont care but Im an Id rather be safe than sorry person.  THE OP never said if they were a shes 12 months 1 or 18 months, thats why I said no honey.(My birth group is of like minds thats why it came out)

Quoting Anonymous:

At a year old, they can have honey.

Quoting horseap:

Um no honey first of all.  But are you talking snacks or meals?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Oranges are too acidic and can cause the shits in babies.

Quoting crumpy_gat:

Lol no, but is it recommended not to give it to babies now?  I've been wondering what age to introduce it to ds

Quoting KennyPooPoo22:

I have an orange "allergy" it isn't life threatening at all, just breaks my mouth out. I also can't eat tomatoes, any citrus fruit, mango, or pineapple. Never heard of them killing anybody though

Quoting crumpy_gat:

Um yeah.  Talk to anyone who has allergies or a child with allergies.  Ignorance is a dangerous thing.  Oranges is new to me though, is that an allergy risk now? 

Quoting stickyfingers:

Yes there is. Lol

Quoting lendales_mommi:

There is no evidence to prove any of this nonsense you just listed.....

Quoting stickyfingers:

They shouldn't have peanut butter, strawberries and other things that are common for allergies. I think even oranges. It's not just a free for all when they turn one. Some things are dangerous too like nuts and popcorn

Quoting Anonymous:

At a yr old why can't they eat anything?

Quoting stickyfingers:

No they can't eat anything if they have teeth don't listen to pp! Give her mashed fruit like bananas. I would give mine rice crispies all soggy lol if you give meat make sure it's teeny pieces but she should have mostly fruits and veggies right now. And milk. Are you still nursing or giving formula?

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM
No the more a child is exposed to a food they are allergic to they get worse. They don't build up an immunity to it. And the next time they are exposed it could be life threatening.

Quoting CV3:

I heard that waiting to intriduce common allergy foods actually increases the chances of the child being allergic to them. I made a point to give my son peanut butter at six months. He hasnt had honey but only becausr I only use it to sweeten my tea. He had strawberrys and oranges at six months too. He had tomatoes at seven months and it flared his eczema so he hasnt had that since but thats it.

Quoting jjchick75:

We never started solids before 9 months and did baby led solids. I don't give honey(or nuts) either. We have several food allergies in our family so food and what is safe and what isn't is a large part of my life lol. I just meant after a year if parents feel comfortable with it, it's seen as safe to give honey. 

Quoting horseap:

*sigh* I explained to a pp why I put it that I didnt realize what group this was, that we kept dd with a virgin gut until 7 months and she has allergies so we held off. Plus she just said 1 not 12 month 1, 18 months 1 or 1 going on 2. I always go better safe than sorry.

Quoting jjchick75:

Honey is fine at a year old also.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/infantbotulismhoney.htm#.UThGqhzryjQ

Quoting horseap:

Um no honey first of all.  But are you talking snacks or meals?

sarahbsquare
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

you can't mess first of all and you should feed em everything and anythng you want to just make em drink whole milk for there brain growth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM

We just gave ds what we where eating. Shred meat or cut it small, soft veggies, beans, cheese, he loves fruit. and soft cooked veggies.

kirstina
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Be careful to cut hotdogs up they are a choking hazard. For the most part they can eat anything. If giving peanutbutter because because if they are eating alot of it then it can be a choking hazard. Meat ithat are tender. They can eat most of everything. I see no reason why they cant have strawberries or oranges. My 16 month old moves these things.

For breakfast she will eat grapes (cut in half but with the peel), and kix.
Snack-banana
Lunch-peanutbutter and jelly and celery, or turkey wrap, green pizaa (broccoli, and spinach with feta cheese)
snack-berries (strawberries,raspberries,)or cuties
Dinner whatever we have from tacos, chili, to roastbeef, shrimp stir-fry. Anything and everything

Oh and she loves chips and hot sauce.
mommadana
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Call your pediatrician for foods that they recommend that you avoid.  I have heard about peanut butter and honey and I think chocolate until they are at least 2 but was not aware of the rest of it.  All else fails get a pediatrician to advise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Children have suffocated on peanut butter, blocks their throat....google it.  Honey is NOT pasteurized, and hot dogs well kids choke from them, plus they're garbage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured