Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you feel? (Racism?)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 131 Replies
I volunteer in dd's 1st grade classroom 3 days a week, I'm the room mom. Dd has a friend who doesn't have a lot, but is always happy. For the past few days, this kid has been falling asleep, etc. Yesterday the teacher pulled her aside and asked why. The kid said they have no electricity, no heat and it's so cold at night she can't sleep. There is snow on the ground!! I overheard this and pretended like I didn't. Later in the day the kid came up to me and asked if she could come live with us because we always have food and heat. I told her no, but she could come visit.

I asked the teacher what to do. She said this wasn't abuse or neglect, so she didn't need to get involved! When dad came to pick up the kid, I asked if I could talk to him. I told him what the kid said to me and asked if I could help. He said to wait until the mom gets there, because she had the bill she could give me (dad is a school janitor, doesn't drive). Mom got there and i asked her to step outside the room with me and she refused. I asked mom the same thing and she looked at me and said, "Seriously? Damn girl. We don't need your money. We are fine!" And the dad told her that they did need help. She said, "From this white girl? You would love that. Just something to hold over my head. Well I ain't gonna have no debt to you." I was like okay...I just wanted to help. You don't need to pay me back. She screamed, "oh! Now you think we're a fucking charity. Well bitch, we don't need no white woman's help." And she grabbed the kid and left.

Mind you, we were in a corner of the classroom and I was whispering, but she started yelling so the kids heard all of this :/.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Bumpity
Anonymous
Bump
Anonymous
Bump
Moe1521
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
8 moms liked this
It sounds like racism and like she needs to learn how to swallow her pride. Maybe call CPS and leave an anonymous tip.....?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Pride, she's going to go without over pride.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Agree. I had two teen boys I helped in school. They never had money for food for school. So everymorning I would go to different place to get food. I was also pregnant with my son I high school so I had a big goodie bag for food to eat through out the school day. They always said thank u.

Quoting Moe1521:

It sounds like racism and like she needs to learn how to swallow her pride. Maybe call CPS and leave an anonymous tip.....?

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, she is racist.  It is so sad that she would put those feelings above the well-being of her family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Typical
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM
10 moms liked this

I don't think that's racism i think its pride, and maybe she feels like she couldn't handle the thought of taking money and you later looking at her in a certain way, not saying you would but its hard for some people to admit they need help.  Don't look at it that way, well i wouldn't she could also feel like you would treat her like shes beneath you.  I really hope it gets better for them, glad you offered to help with no judgement that awesome.  

Moe1521
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM
That was very nice of you. I always love hearing a genuine "thank you". It warms my heart. I am sure those boys were truly grateful!

Quoting Anonymous:

Agree. I had two teen boys I helped in school. They never had money for food for school. So everymorning I would go to different place to get food. I was also pregnant with my son I high school so I had a big goodie bag for food to eat through out the school day. They always said thank u.

Quoting Moe1521:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN