Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Facebook "Photographers" vent UPDATE with PICS

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 284 Replies

So yesterday I went and had newborn pictures made of my seven week old. I know most people have them made sooner, but we honestly haven't had the time. I've acutely been putting it off for when DH is not working and can go with us, but he's always working.

Anyways I kinda knew they weren't going to be great and that the lady who was doing it wasn't exactly professional but I expected a little more.

This lady did Easter pictures of my oldest DS two years ago with baby chickens. She wasn't exactly professional then, but she was just starting out and I had won the photo shoot via a contest. Te pictures actually came out really well - thanks to photoshop. The lady wasn't very creative and her actual skill was lacking. But hey the shoot was free.

Well yesterday the girl posted a status about wanting to beef up her portfolio and was looking to do a newborn session and would give whoever was willing a free disc. But the baby had to be less that 2 months old and they had to do it yesterday.

I messaged her and told her I would be willing to do it but she had to have an indoor studio because it was freezing outside. The pictures that she took two years ago were at a park. She said she did.

So I packed up the kids an a bunch of props and headed out.

I was kinda skeptical but I figure that maybe after two years she would have gotten better - wrong!

First let me say her "studio" was her loveseat in her living room. She used thumb tacks to hang up a blue blanket with a bean bag underneath. And the color of the blanket clashed with every outfit I had brought for DS. I asked her if she had a plain white or black backdrop becuase I thought it would go better, and she said she didn't. Ugh.

Before we could get started I needed to feed DS. So I sat down in her couch. I pulling out my phone to entertain my other two kids when a fucking PIG appears out from undeneath the pile of blankets beside me. Wtf?!?

Eww.

Her response "sorry I forgot to warn you."

Really? Don't you think that Is something you should tell someone upon arrival. Or better yet she should have put the nasty smelly thing up!
I realize some people have small pig as pets (just like a cat or dog).

But I personally thing that if you are going to have clients over to your home for business you should put your animals up.

However I think I would have been able to overlook it if the thing hadnt been a distraction. The animal kept trying to get into my bags and kept climbing up its owner who was trying to take pictures of my newborn. It also knocked down my one year old. THEN THEN he went and took a dump in its "litter box." It stunk so bad! And my one year old kept trying to get into it! We left after that.

Aside from the complete lack of professionalism, I really don't think the pictures are going to be that great. She used the same pose in every outfit and had no creativity what so ever.

She said I should get the pics back in few days. I know she is going to expect some kind of feed back on her FB page, but I don't know how to spin any of it positively.

I have also already booked us another photoshoot with a real professional for next weekend. My DH is taking the weekend off for our anniversary so we will be able to do family photos.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikki554
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM

WOW. That is really unprofessional. I do photography on the side for people that I know but it is always an outdoor thing. I do not have a studio or the desire to make it a full time business. I totally agree though, if it is going to be in your home with clients, the place needs to be clean. 

As for the bean bag, I wouldd use that for a newborn if it was very firm. It works really well for alot of poses for newborns, but definitly not older children.

I really hope your next shoot goes well!

do11face
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM

yikes!

Definitely in photography you get what you pay for.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I actually didn't have a problem with the bean bag. Even at real studios they use thins similar. But I expected a real back drop. I also expected her to at least have a designated room within her home to do te pictures not in the middle of her living room.

Quoting nikki554:

WOW. That is really unprofessional. I do photography on the side for people that I know but it is always an outdoor thing. I do not have a studio or the desire to make it a full time business. I totally agree though, if it is going to be in your home with clients, the place needs to be clean. 

As for the bean bag, I wouldd use that for a newborn if it was very firm. It works really well for alot of poses for newborns, but definitly not older children.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I guess that goes along the lines of "if its too good to be true, it most likely is."

Quoting do11face:

yikes!

do11face
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yep. : /
Well, I hope your new family photos are amazing! Good luck! :)

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I guess that goes along the lines of "if its too good to be true, it most likely is."

Quoting do11face:

yikes!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

you get what you pay for

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

same here.

Quoting nikki554:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure they will be! The same photographer did an amazing job when my ex husband had pictures made with his wife, new baby and my DS. My bestirred also had pictures made and she did great!

Quoting do11face:

Yep. : /
Well, I hope your new family photos are amazing! Good luck! :)

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting do11face:

yikes!

Djinn83
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
10 moms liked this

You get what you pay for. Everybody is a Fauxtographer these days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
sounds like a big mess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)