Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Offers $500 If You’ll Please, Please Give Her Daughter a Job - Is she helping or coddling her daughter?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 47 Replies

Mom Offers $500 If You’ll Please, Please Give Her Daughter a Job

by Janelle Harris

The economy is doing better? Oh. OK then. That’s news to some of us whose positions have recently been katana chopped (including this gal right here. You can’t see me, but I’m pointing to myself). But the headliner in the cast of seemingly normal but evidently freakishly unemployable people is 36-year-old Lisa Smith, who has been out of work since last summer. But not for much longer. Not if her mama, Linda, has her way.

So committed is she to getting her daughter a j-o-b that the elder Ms. Smith has issued an irresistible offer to all of you power networkers out there: take her daughter's resume and get $500 in cold cash if she gets hired. Or maybe a check or PayPal transfer. Anyway, you gotta love an incentive.

That’s not all. Mommy Dearest has also stood with a sign on a busy intersection in her California neighborhood and passed out Lisa’s resume. She took 80 with her and only 11 were taken, but she’s not the least bit deterred. She’s confident that all of this inventive marketing and advertising will put her daughter’s skill set in the hands of some benevolent human resource decision-maker out there.

Most recently, Lisa was caretaker to her mother, who suffered a brain injury after being hit by a drunk driver in 1996. She’s been a doting daughter up until last year, when her mom was finally able to care for herself and live on her own. Which explains why Linda is trying to help her girl child step back into the land of the gainfully employed. Kind of like an uber thoughtful version of tit-for-tat.

The warm, fuzzy results: it’s working. Well, sort of. Lisa has a job interview on Friday (cross your fingers, you guys! And squeeze your eyes real tight for hope). And even if that doesn’t work out, people have been contacting her by email and Facebook to ask for her resume and find out what they can do to help.

Of course, this effort isn’t without its critics, but I think it’s a kindhearted gesture. If you’ve ever found yourself in an employment dry spell—the kind that whittles your self-confidence down to the nubs because you’ve hit “send” on an unacknowledged resume/cover letter combo one too many times—you know that an effort like this can be appreciated. So good luck to America’s Most Well-Intentioned Mom and her daughter. Oh, and the person who scores the $500 for helping them get her a gig.

Do you think Lisa’s mother is helping her daughter or coddling her?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Parents help their kids get jobs all the time through networking and connections.

TippyD
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
3 moms liked this

This is what is wrong with kids now adays. . Let her put job applications in, if she gets a job, she gets a job, if not, KEEP LOOKING AND QUIT HAVING YOUR MOM BRIBE PEOPLE TO GET YOU A JOB!!

MomRocs1102
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

she is not helping her at all. 

Join Adorable Ladies Group, where women can have free uncensored conversations, and discussions minus the bashing and drama. 

www.cafemom.com/group/118542

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Helicopter much?

Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Poor DD ...Mom is pretty much guaranteeing she's gonna get a CRAP job....an Decent employer isn't going to hire her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM
While it's kinda sweet her mom is trying to help....it would help if the daughter were trying this hard to get a job. It would look better to potential employers as well.
idunno1234
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Honestly, that's kind of embarrassing.  I'm 52, also seemingly unemployable and I have no problem using my 82 year old mothers connections (sending a resume online is pointless, although I still go through the motions) but damn, I can't imagine allowing her to pay someone money to hire me or standing on a street corner (?!).  That's almost as bad as paying a date to go out with you. Maybe worse. I mean, REALLY??

Then again,  I was desperate enough to make a bad rap about being unable to find a job and post it on YouTube, so who am I to judge? These days, you gotta do what you gotta do.  Its brutal out there.

Mom2Phoenix2011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM
As someone who has done hiring I would not hire her or look at the resume. By her mother doing this it makes me question the daughters work ethic, while she may be a great employee I would assume that she is lazy and unable perform on her own, let alone under pressure or stress.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lalalie
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

So long as she is also out there trying to get a job I don't see a problem. She was there for her mother through dark times, and now she's having trouble getting a job. I wouldn't fault mom for wanting to feel helpful, but it is a bit much and some employers would probably frown upon it.

I personally think it is sweet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

With today's economy, people are doing all sorts of crazy things to get a job.  Standing at a busy intersection wtih a sandwich board and resumes, billboards, offering to work for free for a month, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN