Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

stop wasting money on your kids *update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 117 Replies
My stepkids are quitters. They have quit every activity dh and bm put them in. Wasting thousands of dollars.

Now my kids got a chance to go to Europe with their music teacher. It will cost me 7000. My son practices the piano two hours a day and my daughter the cello for one hour a day. They been doing this for 10 years. My dh agreed to pay for it with his bonus since I used my savings to put in central air and replace the roof. He gets his bonus in May. Now all of a sudden his sons want to take up karate...again. two years ago they quitted and it cost us 4800 since you have to pay six months in advance.

He is now telling me he can't pay for my kids' trip. I think it is bs. My kids have been looking forward to this. Their dad has paid his half and now this.

My ex and I are pissed and dh is like what my kids are important too.

It would be one thing if he didn't promise, but he did. And the fact his kids have quit karate before is another.

Clarification

Bm does not pay for anything. I have help pay for past activities for his kids. In the past I have always try to use the would our kids, but it has been difficult. Dh and bm spoil the boys and I am not allow to treat them like my own. Karate is for two kids not one. It is expensive because they will pick kids up from school and offer homework help. Idk what extras they do for the summer, but I won't be involved with it this time.

Update

I decided to get a small loan. I called dh to let him know he will have to pick his kids up today. I told him I needed my half for the house repairs. He was upset that I want the money back so soon since I know he needs the money the his kids. I took out most my money from our joint account. I left enough to pay for my half of the bills. I told him from now on leave the parenting of my kids up to me, since they weren't important enough to keep a promise too. He is giving me the silent treatment now, but I'm sure once he realizes my kids game systems are no longer in the family room he will want to say something.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Time to start saving to pay for it yourself and to stop relying on DH for things for your kids.

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

you're going to get crucified in this group.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

sorry, I don't think he is obligated to pay for his step-child's trip

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
In our home you finish what you start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'd be mad, too. Not sure there is any advice I can give you. He should hold up to his end of the bargain, but he's going to do what he wants to do. Good luck though.

LovelyMommy24
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I would be beyond ticked.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rosie211
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Tough situation, doesn't seem right that he promised but now went back on his word. That would be the bigger issue in my opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

It sounds like the parents need to stop letting them quit everything! I'd be mad too though, it doesn't sound right. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

He made a promise he should stick to it. How awful. :/

Photo: -Randi.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

If you agreed to pay for the air (and you did) and he agreed to pay for the trip and backed out I would be pissed too. Real pissed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)