Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

have you ever lost a child in public?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
I am feeling really guilty about something that happen two years ago. We were at Disneyland, and carsland just open, so really crowded, my then 3 year old was in an umbrella stroller, I pushed the stroller so he could watch the cars put on a show, I bent down to get my camera, I felt him get up but thought that he was going to dance as the cars were playing music, but I popped up to see, when I popped up, he was gone. I immediate started calling his name and for a cast member who was near by making sure people didn't touch the cars and told them what happen.

They asked me to stay with them as they set out a search party, they assured me that they usually find the children before the parents.

I told them my son loves walking around alone and WILL not ask for help.

I was right....it took them 48 minutes to find him. The worst 48 mins of my life. Every 10 mins they would ask me mire information, and then say they have never had anything happen, they are 99% sure everything is fine, at the 30 min mark, they were checking every child that leaves the park, security were combing bath rooms, finally a security guard found him in bugs land, and brought him back to me, he was wet from playing in their water area, it was cold, I changed him, the cm gave him stickers and a button. They waited until I stopped crying and hugging him, and examing every inch of him. Before wishing me well. About a minute before they found him, I overheard the cast member supposed to be waiting with me walked away and they were talking about having to go to the next level which none of them had to do ever....and they were nervous about it, making an announcement over the pa, I think they were relieve and excited they didn't have to. One was a manager, the other security.

The next day on fb Disney posted about instructing you children to find a cast member when lost. I was so embarrassed....
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this
It happens. It's not like you left him on purpose or anything. He wandered off. He was found and is safe. That's all that matters now, and it's a funny story to tell him when he is older.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Thanks

Quoting Jennyanne322:

It happens. It's not like you left him on purpose or anything. He wandered off. He was found and is safe. That's all that matters now, and it's a funny story to tell him when he is older.
1likeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM
A few years ago before my ex deployed we took a family vacation. While we were at one of the amusement parks something similar happened to us. We were just about to eat when some characters came around a corner and it scared the daylights out of my two toddlers who took off running before I had a chance to even grab their hands. My oldest son took off after them and I swear I have never seen children dissapear so quickly. My ex immediately took off but I stayed where we were if they came straight back. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences of my life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Yes it is

Quoting 1likeme:

A few years ago before my ex deployed we took a family vacation. While we were at one of the amusement parks something similar happened to us. We were just about to eat when some characters came around a corner and it scared the daylights out of my two toddlers who took off running before I had a chance to even grab their hands. My oldest son took off after them and I swear I have never seen children dissapear so quickly. My ex immediately took off but I stayed where we were if they came straight back. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences of my life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I feel guilty today about it because I was at our co op yesterday and told the story and the moms there acted like I was the worst mother in the world.
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I've never lost mine. But I know shit happens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I haven't lost my son, but it happens. Especially in very public places.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
no. if he's out of my sight i just yell 'MICHAEL DAVID!'

he normally appears within 30 seconds.

plus usually if i can't see him i can HEAR him. its when i cant HEAR him that i would worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I was at a corn maze with my son's preschool class. He decided to run down the path, leaving me behind, cut through some rows since he was small, and promptly get lost. Everyone could just do the maze at their leisure so not many people were in there. I looked for him, but then decided to notify the teacher and other mom's.

We found him after 15 or so minutes, but it was worrysome and embarassing. 

christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I lost my then 6yo at Disney world. Luckily we had talked at length about what to do if we become separated, and she did exactly what I told her to.

Of course I freaked out, but she didn't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)