Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does your dentist pull teeth often?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

My DD had a silver cap put on a molar because it had a small cavity. It was a while ago so honestly it could've been for a different reason. She had another tooth pulled the same day because it had a cavity and the tooth would be coming out soon anyway.

Her silver cap tooth has been bothering her for a few months. She can't eat on that side of her mouth very much. We took her in a few months ago and they said it was fine. I took her again this morning and she said it looked like there "could be something going on" in the root area (I don't speak dental anatomy, but basically the space in the middle of the root). Nothing specific said. Just "something". They wanted to pull the capped tooth PLUS the tooth in front of it (which is a tiny bit loose, not even noticably so). Then they would place a spacer that goes around one molar on one side of her mouth, across the top of her mouth with this plastic thing on her roof, then wrap around a molar on the other side. She had a spacer before and freaking HATED it. Complained about it daily. Couldn't eat on that side of her mouth, plus it rubbed her gums. It eventually fell out and the tooth began to grow in (a couple of years early).

The girl doesn't have poor dental hygiene. She had two cavities.

I told them we were going to just pull the loose one; that maybe DD was confused and it was the loose one that was bothering her.

All this tooth pulling seems excessive. I had three cavities when I was a kid and never had a tooth pulled. Is this normal???

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

BUMP!

christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I was just told yesterday that my 9yo son needs to have a tooth pulled. It's a baby tooth too. I'm still shocked, it seems excessive.

For him he had a filling in this tooth...his only filling. they say that they must not have gotten all the tooth decay out and now it needs to come out. 

so I'm having it done and switching dentists. 

What didn't she like about the spacer? I had never heard of spacers until yesterday and it seems my son will also need one until his permanent tooth comes in. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM

The one she had was like a metal figure 8. One part wrapped around a tooth, the other went around the perimeter of the new toothless area. It keeps teeth from shifting into the empty space because another tooth will need space to grow in there. She said it hurt. Food got caught in it too.

Quoting christina0607:

I was just told yesterday that my 9yo son needs to have a tooth pulled. It's a baby tooth too. I'm still shocked, it seems excessive.

For him he had a filling in this tooth...his only filling. they say that they must not have gotten all the tooth decay out and now it needs to come out. 

What didn't she like about the spacer? I had never heard of spacers until yesterday and it seems my son will also need one until his permanent tooth comes in. 

christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I imagine it would be bothersome because the booth under it will be pushing on it.

but I guess there isn't another option right? If the tooth comes out they have to use a spacer. 

I agree it all seems quite excessive. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The one she had was like a metal figure 8. One part wrapped around a tooth, the other went around the perimeter of the new toothless area. It keeps teeth from shifting into the empty space because another tooth will need space to grow in there. She said it hurt. Food got caught in it too.

Quoting christina0607:

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

kirstina
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I dont know far my kids havent needed any teeth pulled. However they havec already started talking about maybe needing to pull some of dd(4) teeth. They are not straight and the dentist says doesnt have enough room in her mouth for all her teeth and he said it will become a bigger problem when she gets her adult teeth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

i won't allow a dentist do anything more than clean my kids baby teeth unless they are in pain.

Crowns, caps, spacers, root canals on baby teeth?  a SCAM!  even most cavities don't need to be filled.  Mr. Dentist just wants a new boat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM

This is my thinking as well... just wants more money. But my girl is uncomfortable.

Quoting Anonymous:

i won't allow a dentist do anything more than clean my kids baby teeth unless they are in pain.

Crowns, caps, spacers, root canals on baby teeth?  a SCAM!  even most cavities don't need to be filled.  Mr. Dentist just wants a new boat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM

then i would let them pull the capped tooth and nothing more.  leave the other tooth alone and skip the spacer.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is my thinking as well... just wants more money. But my girl is uncomfortable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)