Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To Moms With 3 Kids...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH and I are planning on ttc our 3 child maybe the beginning of 2014. We are using 2013 to prepare our household, our finances, and ourselves for another pregnancy and another baby. Our dd's are 3 and 5. If we conceive when we hope to (fingers crossed) then they will be 5 and 6 when the new baby arrives. I would like the advice of other moms with 3 children.

1. Was having the 3rd as big of a "shock" as having the 2nd?

2. Was there anything you wish you'd known prior to the 3rd child arriving that no one told you?

3. Do you have advice on how to get the other 2 children involved and make the pregnancy and new baby good memories for them?

4. Anything, in general, that would be helpful information?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

1.  No, you already know what adding another is like.

2.  You will be outnumbered by kids.  Not enough arms, and so on.  A schedule is a must.

3.  Don't force it.  If they're unhappy, let them voice THAT too.  Let them voice (and accept) ALL their feelings and they won't always be positive.  Let them help if they want, but NEVER force it.

4.  Don't tell them too early.  They're young, time is fluid.  Really, no need to say anything before 3-4 months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Thank you.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

1.  No, you already know what adding another is like.

2.  You will be outnumbered by kids.  Not enough arms, and so on.  A schedule is a must.

3.  Don't force it.  If they're unhappy, let them voice THAT too.  Let them voice (and accept) ALL their feelings and they won't always be positive.  Let them help if they want, but NEVER force it.

4.  Don't tell them too early.  They're young, time is fluid.  Really, no need to say anything before 3-4 months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
My dd was 10 and my ds was 7 when my dd was born last yr. They adore her, and she adores them! It was fine adding another, and I'm pregnant again with #4. No worries here.
LadySlimm
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Eh, maybe it is because my kids were so young(they were 2.5 and 13 months when #3 was born), but it really had no effect on them. I learned to operate on a schedule, because soon after my 3rd was born, my husband and I split up. I did it on my own till I met my current BF and we had a child together. They were 5, 3, and 2 when #4 was born and they love it

nurse1997
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

A mom of 3 aint much different to a mom of 2  my advice to you is to some what get a schedule for you  together so you know how to plan your days out  better  - little ones are hard to take out when they are all in car seats and its a real pain in the butt been there done that  LOL  mine are 11,14,15, glad those days are over its alot of work but having any kids are alot of work . If your house is crazy and a mess your only going to make for more stress get the basics covered  at home and every thing will fall in place . Good luck  you wil be fine

Sandiekd21
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

1. I went from one to three overnight. I had DD and while I was in the hospital, DH (then he was just my SO- not the father of either of my bio kids) was in another state getting his DD from his ex. When I was released, I went home to my DS and his DD. So, I had three kids all of a sudden.
2. Not really.
3. Get the older kids a baby doll. Teach them how to care for it. Then, when your baby comes and you're taking care of it, have them take care of their babies, too. Also, let them be involved. With SD, when DD was crying her 'unimportant' cry and I was too busy to go to her, I would ask SD to 'fix the baby' which meant giving her her binky. She loved doing this.
4. Make sure all the kids get the much needed attention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

The good news is that we already have a good routine for the 2 kids we have and it runs pretty much like clock work. I like structure and routines for little ones so that won't be a culture shock to anyone : ) It will just have to be tweaked to accomodate a new family member.

Quoting nurse1997:

A mom of 3 aint much different to a mom of 2  my advice to you is to some what get a schedule for you  together so you know how to plan your days out  better  - little ones are hard to take out when they are all in car seats and its a real pain in the butt been there done that  LOL  mine are 11,14,15, glad those days are over its alot of work but having any kids are alot of work . If your house is crazy and a mess your only going to make for more stress get the basics covered  at home and every thing will fall in place . Good luck  you wil be fine

christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

DH and I are planning on ttc our 3 child maybe the beginning of 2014. We are using 2013 to prepare our household, our finances, and ourselves for another pregnancy and another baby. Our dd's are 3 and 5. If we conceive when we hope to (fingers crossed) then they will be 5 and 6 when the new baby arrives. I would like the advice of other moms with 3 children.

1. Was having the 3rd as big of a "shock" as having the 2nd? Not at all. I had my second and third 20 months apart and it was a big deal at all. there really was no adjustment period. 

2. Was there anything you wish you'd known prior to the 3rd child arriving that no one told you? no. I'd already had 2 kids...I pretty well versed in the baby thing by that point. 

3. Do you have advice on how to get the other 2 children involved and make the pregnancy and new baby good memories for them? Not really. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

1. well considering we went from one to three, it was a shock but it was not that bad. 

2. not really, once you have one you just try not to make the same mistakes you did with the first one. lol

3. have them help, since yours are still little I would suggest getting them a baby with a stroller and them do what you do with the new baby. 

4. just take one day at a time!  My oldest was 15 months old when we had the twins.  While it was not that bad, I do wish that he was about 4 when we had the twins.  

Liz_Rocket
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1.The biggest adjustment you make as a parent is having your first. The next biggest adjustment is having your second and juggling two at the same time. After that, it's all gravy.

2.No. You've had two, you're an experienced mother.

3. Tell them you're pregnant and let them ask whatever questions they have. Don't force their involvement.

4.youll really enjoy this one and be relaxed about everything because you've been through it twice already.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN