Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do I have to go to court?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
Let me start off by saying both of my parents are bad parents, I love them, but they sucked at raising my brother and I.
Well I'm 20 years old, my brother is 18. He's still in high school and the law says my dad has to pay child support until all children are 18 AND graduated UNLESS they drop out.
I quit when I was 16. My dad knew this but continued paying full amount ($250 per child, $500 in total)
He just stopped mine this past year, he tried to stop my brothers too. My brother took a break from high school for a year so my dad assumed he quit so he decided to stop paying.
Well my brother is now back in high school and my dad only has to pay $250.
Well he's suing my mom for back child support for me and she's suing him for back child support because he received pay raises he didn't report.

Some how I have to go to court to testify that my dad knew that I quit school and all this other crap.

I just don't want to be a part of it. Ive been an adult living on my own since I was 17. This really has nothing to do with me.
But now they're both pissed because I don't want to go.

Just fucking Uhg. Sorry, this is mostly a rant at how childish my parents are.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySlimm
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

they are both childish, but if you got a subpeona, you have to go.

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM
If you got summoned to court like a supeona(spelling?) then you have to go. I think you can have a warrant if you dont?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadySlimm
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, they will issue a contempt of court warrant on her. Usually a $1000 fine and 48 hours in jail.

Quoting mlg1989:

If you got summoned to court like a supeona(spelling?) then you have to go. I think you can have a warrant if you dont?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM
They truely are! I tried telling them that my 2 year old doesn't act so selfish. They might as well throw themselves on the floor and kick and scream.

Quoting LadySlimm:

they are both childish, but if you got a subpeona, you have to go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I've not been subpoenaed, they are the only ones making me go. Claiming "I owe them".

Quoting mlg1989:

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Then no you dont have to.
:)
Tell them you are not choosing sides and you refuse to get involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've not been subpoenaed, they are the only ones making me go. Claiming "I owe them".

Quoting mlg1989:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

hmm I always thought the dad had to pay cs until the children were 18 regardless if they were in school or not just as long as they are living in the mothers home still. I know in some cases the dad is ordered to continue paying after the child is 18 if the child is still in school or is in college. Either way Im sorry you have to be put in the middle of this. Cant you just refuse to go to court. I dont think you have to unless you get a subpoenaed (sp?)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Good, part of me just wants to keep peace with both sides but the other part wants to tell them to get bent.

Quoting mlg1989:

Then no you dont have to.

:)

Tell them you are not choosing sides and you refuse to get involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mlg1989:

jesistar6910
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

If you were summoned to court via subpeona, then yes you are legally obligated to go.

It's easy, just tell them: yes, he knew I was not in school. The end.

EAzizM
by Erica on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I would let them deal on their own. There is no reason for them to involve you in their little game.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)