Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making Fun Of Special Needs People??

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 16 Replies

So my friend called at 10:01 asking if I wanted to do breakfast.  I said sure :)  We're both in the life group / class at church ~ it's called Overcoming Disabilities.  Anyway, i'm not exactly sure what type of condition she has but she doesn't talk like a normal person does.  She's such a sweet lady.  She has a 11 yr old dd that stays with me some.  She calls me Sissy!  Oddly enough we have the same last name!  Lol so who knows we may be kin.  But back to the story we order just in time before it switches over to lunch menu.  We go and sit down.  The booth behind us had 4 young people in it.  Well, mid way through I hear them say 'OMG she talks like she's eff'd up... is she on drugs??'  and   'Omg I wish she would stfu' i'm like uhhh..  At first I said to myself she's talking about someone else.  Well...  I stand up to go get a refill and one of the chicks stands up and points at her laughing.  Wtf?  My friend just smiled at them and said let's go so I went walking past them and they stared us down laughing some more.  Like wtf??  It's rude.  She broke down in the car.  I seriously wanted to TELL THEM OFF but she insisted we leave so I did what she asked.  But seriously wtf??

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn've spoken to the manager and had them removed.  

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM
They got off lucky. I would have sent her to the car and let those jerks have a hefty piece of my mind.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SciFiMama91
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM
That's just disgusting. I'm so sorry she had to deal with that. I've stepped in several times when people pulled that crap. All but once the person made an apology.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM

That's sad.  Unfortunately it is becoming accepted.  Even our president ridiculed the Special Olympics and was never made to account for it.

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM
What?! When did that happen? What did he say?

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sad.  Unfortunately it is becoming accepted.  Even our president ridiculed the Special Olympics and was never made to account for it.

irvinehiker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Sorry for your friend. :(

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I've actually seen it happen where people nearby have spoken up to defend people if they are in earshot of this kind of disgusting behaviour.

mamacough
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I would not have been able to stop myself. I would have been polite but I would have said something to the effect of: When you have children of your own and one has a disibility ,you will see how your rude behavior affects them. Then I would have walked off. I would not wait for a reply. I would just give them something to think about.

BTW: I have done this many times. I have a child with disabilities. You know people who make fun or stare or laugh are just scared of the unknown. and that is how they respond it their own ignorance. SAd but true.

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM

People are screwed up. I'm sorry that happened to your friend.

KatieFlower
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

thats so messed up. im sorry you two had to deal with that.  people can be so sick and cruel.  i would have cussed them out. (not that that is the right thing to do but i am upset just thinking about what you had to deal with). I supposed the best answer would be to tell the manager that you are being harrassed by some other cusotmers and i am sure they would have asked the other to leave.

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured