Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didn't pay the bill, so they turned it off

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My heat is off and it's like 20 degrees out. My DD is 2 years old. She needs to be warm.

So, I have my oven set to 500 and left open. I am hoping it'll warm up the house. Is this a bad idea? How much electricity does that use? I can't really afford too much.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Replies (181-190):
Miss.MaryJane
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Had.to laugh you're" educated"enough not to shop at Walmart but you have no idea what carbon monoxide is? Smdh.
Any who, I'd say go with the cold weather law of whatever it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

WTF is that??????

Quoting Anonymous:

Carbon Monoxide.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, playing devil's advocate here. If you have no phone and no internet, how are you able to be on this site? If you can afford a car and all that goes with it (maintenance, insurance, fuel), why would you not be able to afford heat - and where are your priorities? How far behind are you on your bills? As others have stated, power companies work with you, and don't shut off the first month and certainly not in the dead of winter.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Quoting lilmomma0217:

TROLL can't turn the oven on if the electric is off

Her oven could be run by gas. It is possible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Wait....You said they turn your electric "OFF", but then you say you have your oven set at 500, how much ELCTRIC does that use? I call troll! A very lame one at that!

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

If you still have electricity then see if someone you know maybe has a small electric heater you could borrow. It seems like a very bad idea to have an oven turned on so high and leave it open with a 2 yr old around. I would think in order to stay warm you would have to be very close to it. And I would be worried that the 2 yr old could fall into it or something and honestly that would probably kill her. I make my 3 yr old stand on the other side of the kitchen when I open the oven because I dont want her to be walking by and do something silly and trip or something and fall on it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Yeah, the rest are temperature based fuckface. If it's twenty degrees they aren't going to turn it off. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you even read what you typed?

LMAO, key word that you even put in there MOST states, not ALL.

Quoting Anonymous:

Haha. Troll. They can't turn off a utility related to your heat source between November and March in most states. 

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Look...you need heat right?  You don't have a great deal of money right?  That's why people suggested Walmart.  Yes it's cheap chinese stuff. And no I don't like Walmart all that much...but you need heat NOW. And the price is right.  It isn't like we know what you live near.  I'd never suggest thrift stores for heaters.  I'd afraid a second hand one wouldn't work, also my Goodwill doesn't have them.

Yes Target has heaters. So does Kmart.  Best Buy.  But some of us are trying to help you out here and just about every town has a Walmart.  Don't put down those trying to help  you out.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no such thing as an awesome walmart. SOrry. All Walmarts are disgusting. CHeap chinese shit.

Quoting jillbailey26:

How are any of these women supposed to know your Walmart is disgusting?  Mine is awesome.

Pay the bill.  That will get you some heat.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you so much for the advice. INstead of calling me an idiot or telling me to go to disgusting Walmart.

Quoting just_hc:

Go to a local thrift shop.  I just left the Goodwill by my office and they had several radiator type heaters for $10 a piece.  Also had a kerosene heater.  Try there.  

Meg10
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Goodwill is a thrift store so most likely you would be buying something used as opposed to shopping at Walmart and buying something new. Maybe if you shopped at Walmart more often and saved some money you wouldn't be in this situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you so much for the advice. INstead of calling me an idiot or telling me to go to disgusting Walmart.

Quoting just_hc:

Go to a local thrift shop.  I just left the Goodwill by my office and they had several radiator type heaters for $10 a piece.  Also had a kerosene heater.  Try there.  

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

She said they turned her heat off. I am assuming that her heat was gas and not electric, but her oven could be electric and therefore still work. However, I still think it is a bad idea to do that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wait....You said they turn your electric "OFF", but then you say you have your oven set at 500, how much ELCTRIC does that use? I call troll! A very lame one at that!

Luna091306
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

She said they turned her heat off which is ran by gas. Everything else is electric.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured