Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I didn't pay the bill, so they turned it off

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My heat is off and it's like 20 degrees out. My DD is 2 years old. She needs to be warm.

So, I have my oven set to 500 and left open. I am hoping it'll warm up the house. Is this a bad idea? How much electricity does that use? I can't really afford too much.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Replies (311-318):
Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

We did that when I was growing up and the furnace went out.

You do have to be careful.  It won't warm the whole house, sorry.  You'd be better off actually cooking something.

ladybugrooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

My hubby did not pay our gas bill. We used the oven.................our electricity bill shot up from about 60 or so dollars a months to 300 dollars a month. BAD IDEA

Redwall
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Really a bad idea. Get a space heater, or bundle up with blankets, make popcorn and pretend you're camping.
AngelaR
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM

#1 just because her electric is off does not mean her gas is off. If her electric is off WHY WOULD YOU SUGGEST ELECTRIC HEATERS???

#2 Her stove could be gas??? just a thought.

#3 Why would you pay your phone (I am assuming a cell phone  with internet) before your Electric?? YOU HAVE A 2 YEARS OLD GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT.

#4 Why would you sit here and post on this site about it and get bashed???????? Get off you A$$ and go get assistants and if your smart DON"T post about it!!!! For goodness sakes

banging head into wall

MandaJo111
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Get an electric space heater.  I saw them marked down at Walmart.  The little ones were $19 and the bigger ones were $39.  Pick a small room and close the two of you off in it with the heater.  Put towels under any cracks in the doors and only go in other rooms as necessary.  Snuggle up and stay warm.  Good luck hun! (Hugs) 

Grumpylilpixy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM
In NM. They can't turn off heat or electric if you are low income from Nov 25 to March 15. It sucks you are going through this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Nope, I work for the gas company...
leota29
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM
My heat is gas. My oven is electric. I could use my oven if my heat was off.

Quoting lilmomma0217:

TROLL can't turn the oven on if the electric is off

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN