Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I being too sensitive?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 92 Replies

If you don't like long posts, skip to second and third paragraph. lol I'm sure you guys will be brutally honest with me, so here goes. lol Ds goes to preschool 2 days a week. They have a ''no peanuts'' policy, but they are very lenient. VERY. I actually just got an email a couple weeks ago stating that although they don't like peanuts, they know it's hard to find something that kids will eat so if you send your child with peanut butter, they'll just move them to the other side of the room, away from anyone with a possible allergy. Well, now we got his allergy test back, and he can't have a LOT of foods, so thinking of something to send him for lunch is hard.

So, Tuesday, I sent him rice cakes with soy"nut" butter on them. He came home and told me the lunch teacher threw one of them away and made him move to the peanut table. Wtf? I finally get him to explain that he tried to cut it up and it fell apart on him so she chucked it. I'm slightly irritated because she threw his food away and made him move when I put a sticker on the bag that says "100% peanut and nut free". Whatever.

Today he comes home and wasn't allowed to eat his larabar because it had cashews and almonds in it. He asked the teacher to open it (different teacher than Tuesday) and she told him to wait until he got home to eat it because it had nuts in it. So now I'm even more irritated. 

I don't send my child a ton of food because I don't want to waste it. I send him what I think he'll eat, with a little extra. Should I be pissed? Someone help me write a nice email to the director because Idk how. lol 

EDIT: They are a PEANUT free school. They do not inlcude other nuts or legumes in their policy. And besides, their policy is to move children with peanuts, not throw their food away or not let them have it.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mich.el.le
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

BUMP!

christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this

If he has anything that even slightly resembles or may have any type of  nut in it, he should sit at the peanut table.

I guess I don't understand what you're so upset about. 

JaQuan_Jayla
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

You can not send you child to school with nuts. 

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would be pissed!

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM
4 moms liked this
I would ask them for claification on their policies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I would ask them for claification on their policies

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Quoting JaQuan_Jayla:

You can not send you child to school with nuts. 

That depends on the school. His school is not nut free, it is PEANUT free.

FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM

its soy butter... soy is a legume just like a peanut. Cashews and Almounds are Tree nuts. I'm assuming your school has rules against these types of allergies? 

I don't think she should have thrown away his rice cake though, thats his food :-(

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I agree.

Quoting christina0607:

If he has anything that even slightly resembles or may have any type of  nut in it, he should sit at the peanut table.

I guess I don't understand what you're so upset about. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
3 moms liked this

This kinda stuff really makes me consider homeschooling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN