Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Suing a family member?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Would you sue a family member that refused to pay a debt to you?

Options:

yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 72

View Results

I have posted before about my sister and how she refuses to pay me money she owes me or money for a loan I took out for her. So she got a nice tax refund and I asked her is maybe she could pay back some of the 1400 dollars cash and the 500.00 loan. (I am being sued for nonpayment for) She refuses to pay me says that I told her it was a gift, then goes on to say that she paid me every dime she owes and has a witness that will go to court and say this.... So since it's been almost a year since I have gotten a payment from her I have decided to take my sister to small claims court. (up until today I nvr thought I would sue my sister) . So I filled out all the court documents and have the receipts showing I paid this debt for her and a letter saying she will pay me back signed by her. I know it's a slam dunk if I take her to court but should I would you? Just looking for some opinions I am on the fence on what to do.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I would 1900 dollars is a lot of money to not pay back

chattycassie
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Thank you, I was thinking about chalking it up to I was dumb and loaned out money, but last weekend my neice was over telling me about all the money her mom gave her to go blow. It made me so mad. How can you owe someone money and go blow hundreds of dollars on a phone and clothes you dont need. SRY I am so pissed at her right now

Quoting Anonymous:

I would 1900 dollars is a lot of money to not pay back

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I have a similar situation.  I co-signed a loan for my sister back in 2003, which she defaulted on.  She never paid the remaining outstanding dept, and now I have a wage garnishment against me.  The attorney that the finance company hired refuses to go after her because she doesn't have a stable work history.  Since I do, I am stuck paying.  The debt is over $5,000!  So, I'm currently paying over $300 a month!  She works, her bf works, and both got nice income tax refunds.  Any time I ask for money, I'm made out to be the bad guy.  I want to take her to small claims court also, but I'm so torn!  I don't want our relationship to be affected, but at the same time, we agreed at the time I signed for the loan, that in the event she defaulted, she would be responsible!   UGH..Family!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

You could take her to small claims court.  If you have to hire an attorney it's probably going to cost more than she owes you.

Derpy
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Go for it.
People like that need a good kick in the ass.
I have a sister JUST like that. 

"Life,which you so nobly serve,comes from destructiopn,disorder and choas" -Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No I wouldn't. 

I would take it as a lesson learned and move on. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I would definitely take her to small claims court. The relationship would already be ruined by her screwing me over, so court would be my next step.
chattycassie
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM

This is why I am so torn. I did loan the money I should have not but damn its my sister she promised to pay and now I am stuck. :( I have the paperwork but not sure if I have the guts to start a family war

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a similar situation.  I co-signed a loan for my sister back in 2003, which she defaulted on.  She never paid the remaining outstanding dept, and now I have a wage garnishment against me.  The attorney that the finance company hired refuses to go after her because she doesn't have a stable work history.  Since I do, I am stuck paying.  The debt is over $5,000!  So, I'm currently paying over $300 a month!  She works, her bf works, and both got nice income tax refunds.  Any time I ask for money, I'm made out to be the bad guy.  I want to take her to small claims court also, but I'm so torn!  I don't want our relationship to be affected, but at the same time, we agreed at the time I signed for the loan, that in the event she defaulted, she would be responsible!   UGH..Family!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I believe your hands are tied. It's costing you money. So basically you're getting conned by your sister to pay her debt. If she has the money to give (the refund) then it should be given to you! Take her to court. That's a lot of money to be paying.
chattycassie
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM

The forms and paper work is verry simple I wont need an attorney. I am being sued by a loan company already due to her and have been representing myself. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You could take her to small claims court.  If you have to hire an attorney it's probably going to cost more than she owes you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)