Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do i have to leave it bee?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have a honey bee hive in my tree in my front yard I want it removed, its a finished hive so there is a queen and all that jazz, anyways I want it removed is there a way I can have the honey bee people (ya know the people who work on bee farms and what not) come get it out of my tree and put those bees to work?
Also I know there was a honey bee shortage a while ago does this mean they are protected now and I have to just leave it bee? (haha I know I spelled 'be' wrong, I was making a funny). Does anybody know?

Or do I just call an exterminator and have them take care of it? The hive is HUGE and about 20-50 feet up on the ground it looks like the size of a basketball. My tree buzzes in the spring and summer and the bees are ridiculous, any ideas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue_elephant
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Bump, anybody?
finnbar
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Yes, i am sure you can get a bee keeper to remove it for you. Bees are valuable!
finnbar
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Have you tried googling to find a bee keeper association in your area/state? They will know who is ready and willing to rehome this hive
blue_elephant
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I haven't looked yet, I didn't even think about it til today lol when my friend suggested it. I know there is a bee farm thing like 15 miles away, maybe I should call them

Quoting finnbar:

Have you tried googling to find a bee keeper association in your area/state? They will know who is ready and willing to rehome this hive
blue_elephant
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Wait I can sell the bees?

*lol I'm kidding I don't want to keep it, all I want is it out of my tree*

Quoting finnbar:

Yes, i am sure you can get a bee keeper to remove it for you. Bees are valuable!
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I would see if someone may be able to relocate the bees. I don't believe it is illegal to kill them, but it's nice if you can save them:)
finnbar
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I really don't know: maybe!!!
Honestly tho, it's usually a mutually beneficial exchange. You get your yard back and the keeper gets a strong wild hive. Maybe yoy could ask for a token jar of honey!

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting finnbar:

phantomphan
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
even if they don't want it, they will likely know someone who can take it out for you.

Quoting blue_elephant:

I haven't looked yet, I didn't even think about it til today lol when my friend suggested it. I know there is a bee farm thing like 15 miles away, maybe I should call them

Quoting finnbar:

blue_elephant
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I was joking I just want it gone, and my husband is allergic to honey so yeah that sucks. I sent an e-mail to a guy that says he will do it free, maybe I'll also contact yack bros honey co since its only 30 mins away from me...

Quoting finnbar:

I really don't know: maybe!!!

Honestly tho, it's usually a mutually beneficial exchange. You get your yard back and the keeper gets a strong wild hive. Maybe yoy could ask for a token jar of honey!

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting finnbar:

blue_elephant
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I have no idea if it is or not, and I would love for them to just be relocated and not killed, which is why I haven't just called an exterminator...

Quoting olliesmommy2:

I would see if someone may be able to relocate the bees. I don't believe it is illegal to kill them, but it's nice if you can save them:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)