Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I didn't talk until I was almost 3 years old.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
I don't have any learning disabilities. The state made my mom have me evaluated because they thought she was neglecting her "special needs" daughter.

Oops. I didn't mean to post yet.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.ChiMama.
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Was there a reason you didn't speak?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Some kids just don't talk until they are older. Einstein didn't speak a word until he was three. But, they just have to make sure and get the kids evaluated for their own wellbeing, just to make sure nothing else is going on.

christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM
My youngest son was almost 3 before he said a single word. I never once thought there was anything wrong with him. Nor did anyone else.

But I also never ran into anyone who felt the need to question it.
christina0607
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Also when he did start talking he immediately started talking in complete sentences. As if he had been saving it up....or decided he wasn't going to do it until he could do it perfectly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Well my mother said she thinks I just didn't need to. There was never a real reason that could account for it. My mom had brought me to one of my brothers school functions and the teacher became worried when she learned that I had never talked.

The state gave me simple shape and logic tests. My mother said I exceeded everything. Maybe I just liked to watch more than talk lol.

Quoting .ChiMama.:

Was there a reason you didn't speak?

CjEmmemommy
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

My oldest was like that. Basically repeated the last word you said till he was just shy of 3 then he started saying his own things. So he talked but didn't form thoughts and say them. I thought it was odd but he is actually very smart.

My daughter was talking tons at 18 months. Our second boy was closer to 2 but still much before his brother. Either It was from being the first meaning he never needed or wanted, we had a shcedual and he knew sign language for things like drink, milk, more ect so he didn't have to talk.

When he did talk it was very clear, where my daughter was hard to understand for over a year.

SunshineBird
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My nephew was exactly like that! Just one day having full on conversations with us. Lol

Quoting christina0607:

Also when he did start talking he immediately started talking in complete sentences. As if he had been saving it up....or decided he wasn't going to do it until he could do it perfectly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh wow. My mother said I did that too.

Quoting christina0607:

morriganna
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM

This.  I also talked late but had an extensive vocabulary and tested highly.  Ds was the same (I also got a lot of pressure to test for special needs) and has the IQ of a genius.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Some kids just don't talk until they are older. Einstein didn't speak a word until he was three. But, they just have to make sure and get the kids evaluated for their own wellbeing, just to make sure nothing else is going on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I agree except they thought Einstein had autism so he could have been special needs.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)