Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SSI for a child

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I am considering  applying for SSI for my 9 year old son. He has ADHD, ODD ,and a mood disorder. He has had over 50 referral in school, has been kicked off the bus so many times and kicked out of school so many times and can not currently ride his school bus we are having to take him back and forth to school. His issues make it  hard for both of us to work the same schedule which is making it hard for of us to work, findin work working the opposite shift is really hard. We have doctor appointment out of town because there are no doctors in our town  that deal with his issues.

SO if you have gotten SSI for your child with similar issue can you help me by telling me what you had to do, what was needed in order to get the ball rolling.

Thanks.

FYI, i you are wanting to bash me don't bother, i will ignore your reply, you don't have my son, deal with his issues daily like i do.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

i dunno but theyre telling me my 3 yr old has something called ehlers-danlos i wonder if she qualifies?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Best of luck. He will likely be denied more than once. Get a lawyer to do the appeal the first time they deny it. The lawyer won't get paid until your child is awarded his retroactive amount. It is usually 20% and SSI will pay the lawyer directly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM

IDK but good luck momma!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I have SSI for my son but he is very far delayes with a classic case of autism.He has alot of medical problems as well.Have you thought about taking him out and seeing about a. special needs school or an IEP for him?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I was denied for having a 401k. Now that it's all used up, I'm going to try again. If I get one of these jobs I interviewed for, then I won't need to reapply.
mommaharley
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I know it sucks to be quoted, but I completely agree.  He may get denied a couple times.

My daughter gets SSI, but we had a social worker in the hospital because her diagnosis was so early (she has Down Syndrome) so I didn't have to deal with appealing it.  Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Best of luck. He will likely be denied more than once. Get a lawyer to do the appeal the first time they deny it. The lawyer won't get paid until your child is awarded his retroactive amount. It is usually 20% and SSI will pay the lawyer directly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I have no idea but my mind is constantly blown by the disorders that are covered by SSI. My son is autistic and it never crossed my mind to get a check just because he has a disorder. Before CM I thought only children with severe disabilities qualified.
matheson7
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM

If he gets denied repeal it. Also make sure you give permission to all your Son's Dr.'s to release his records, the more documentation you have the better. Best of luck.

paigesmommy5264
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM
My dd has been getting SSI for about 4yrs, she got approved and started receiving it within a few months (she has an inoperable brain tumor) make sure you have all your paperwork together, and check online for qualifications.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM

He has IEP

Quoting Anonymous:

I have SSI for my son but he is very far delayes with a classic case of autism.He has alot of medical problems as well.Have you thought about taking him out and seeing about a. special needs school or an IEP for him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)