Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you become a room mom for your kids school?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 15 Replies
I saw the post about PTA.. I signed up for the PTA paid my dues and all and never received any info or any emails for meetings or anything. I'm not sure why..

Anyway, other than that I wanted to know about room moms.. What exactly does a room mom do, and how do you become one? This is my first year as my oldest is in kindergarten.. So I'm new to all of this. I'm not sure what to do. The other moms don't really talk to me when I pick up my daughter.. There aren't a lot that pick up their kids. I have a younger daughter that is 2.. So not sure if that would keep me from bein able to be a room mom or whatever.

I didnt know who to ask, and I know a lot of moms are in this group.
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Be a brown-noser.  That's how it works at our school.

1busymommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Is it a bad thing to be a room mom? Why would u say that? I just want to be involved in my child's school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM
And know all the latest gossip. That's how it works here to. Don't have time for that.

Quoting Anonymous:

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It depends on your school. 

My kids are in private school, so I don't do much even though I'm room mom. They have a party every other month in order to celebrate the birthdays in the class. I organize the party and that is the extent of my duties. They don't have parents come in to help with crafts or anything since it is a private school and the classes are so small. 

At the beginning of the year ( Orientation), the teacher will have a sign up sheet at our school and then the room parents are chosen and they have a meeting for us. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

skyebleau
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Very small private school--Our room mom is basically a liaison between teacher and parents. She organizes class fundraising, coordinates who brings what for class parties, and decides on class gifts for teacher during holidays, etc. 

~Skye

________

www.glittergirlsclub.com

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM
It isn't a bad thing to want to be involved in your kid's school. Just my experience is those moms that are the most involved are the most obnoxious. And that turns people off.

Quoting 1busymommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it a bad thing to be a room mom? Why would u say that? I just want to be involved in my child's school.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Dont know, we dont have them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I am room mom for my ydd, you can volunteer when you sign up for the PTA. Basically I plan and attend all the class parties  and other small things like that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It's not a bad thing, it's just that certain families around here seem to get special treatment, while the rest of us are left in the dark.

Quoting 1busymommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

be very careful about taking it on. The president of our PTO has a son in my son's class. She said that no one signed up for room mom and that she needed help. I told her that I was not available to help fulltime with it, but I would help when I could (I had signed up to be a helper, not the head room parent, I knew I couldn't handle being head parent). So fast forward a month, and she sends the head room packet home. I told her I can do the Halloween party, but I would not be available due to dh's scedule for Christmas and Valentines Day. She still has hassled me and down talked me when I told her from the beginning that I could not take on the full responsiblity. I have now become somewhat of a pariah among the mom helpers as she has told everyone how I bailed on the job (the job that I never agreed to take on that she tried to bully me into taking). I am so glad we are leaving this school system lmao.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)