Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SERIOUSLY?! Eating Placenta?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It's good for you...mammals do this...it's natural...BLAH BLAH BLAH! Seriously?! GROSS!  Breastfeeding, continuing prenatal vitamins, getting rest and plenty of fluids sounds like a better way to feel great after giving birth to me! Sorry but if it came outta my vagina I'm not putting it in my mouth! Would you eat your menses too if you were told it had vitamins in it? How about dog Sh*t if that was "good for you"?! NO THANKS! I'd have to be on my death bed and it would be the ONLY way to save me. Why are people trying to come up with the craziest freaking things they can? Are there no normal moms left?!?!?!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (131-137):
ATL958
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM
OMG - that is seriously disturbing!

Quoting Jaybabies10:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Placenta teddy bear

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

It's not like you go to town on it after it comes out. It's in pill form. I wouldn't do it, but just saying.

livingrlovesong
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I'm making mine into pills. Not frying it up or eating it raw. Lmao
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NotAMuggle
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

just because you see it as gross doesn't make it so

Quoting Anonymous:

I had HORRIBLE ppd. My husband left me while still pregnant and was cheating on me before that. I already had another baby with him too. I'm at risk for post partum psycosis as well because I have very mild bi polar. I don't care. it's gross. vitamins and breastfeeding my baby and clinging to my family is what helped me get through it. Not my nasty placenta! sorry but even in pill form it's nasty. there's other pills for that! gross...still just gross. no

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM
No, in "most" countries it is NOT normal.

Placentophagy is not commonplace. There are small percentages of the population that practice it, but they are small.

There are no proven scientific benefits. There have been no studies.

Quoting RaeRaeNe:

Your an idiot, obvious why your husband would cheat. Women have been doing this for centuries andmost countries it is still considered normal to do so. YOU are the weird one.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had HORRIBLE ppd. My husband left me while still pregnant and was cheating on me before that. I already had another baby with him too. I'm at risk for post partum psycosis as well because I have very mild bi polar. I don't care. it's gross. vitamins and breastfeeding my baby and clinging to my family is what helped me get through it. Not my nasty placenta! sorry but even in pill form it's nasty. there's other pills for that! gross...still just gross. no

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM

The nutrients and hormones are preserved only if the the placenta is dehydrated raw. The more common method calls for steaming the placenta before dehydrating. Also, not all mammals eat  their placenta; many do, but it's mainly to hide the evidence from predators. Many animals also eat their newborns' feces, and will also neglect or even eat offspring who are not born healthy; perhaps we should institute such practices ourselves, since their must be some benefit, eh?

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

It's merely dehydrated and crushed. That's not going to take the nutrients out of it. Considering all mammals eat their placenta, I think there's a good enough reason to assume there ARE benefits to eating it. 

Quoting SuDoNim:

The plural of anecdote is not data. Considering how most preparation methods would negate the benefits, it is most likely a placebo effect.

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

No, just thousands of moms who can attest to its benefits. I was skeptical, but I would try anything to help with my ppd, I started my pills a week after birth, and was very very low, 24 hours later I felt like a new woman. I don't need a study, when I have seen the effects myself. Studies can be twisted which ever way they wanna twist them. My personal experience is all the proof I need. 

Quoting SuDoNim:

Last time I checked, there is no scientific evidence to support the hypothetical benefits of placentophagy.

Quoting Anonymous:

One: depends on what it supposed to be linked to curing.

Two: how is eating your placent different than eating animal liver? It's an organ that your body disposes of when it's no longer needed, it's isn't contaminated with bacteria and toxins like feces is, and it actually is linked to curing post partum depression.  You think it's gross now, take a look at what is in the ppd pills they give to moms to help them out. Synthetic hormones that can be linked to cancer. Last time I checked, placenta's weren't linked to cancer. Just wise cracks and stupid commentary from closed minded people.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no problem eating something that is MEANT to be eaten. Not something that came from the inside of me. Like I have asked several times and no one who eats (or takes pill form of) placenta will answer. would you eat dog poop if you got the same supposed health benefits?

Quoting Anonymous:

lol...you're funny. Oh wait, you probably don't eat veg and fruit because it came from the ground and that's dirty. I live on a self sustained farm, so don't worry about me. I'll be good when the zombies pass you up looking for brains.

Quoting Anonymous:

So then what do you eat when you run out of placentas to eat? because there's only bat feces and anal secretions left after it's gone...

Quoting Anonymous:

Take a moment and pause over where all the "Natural Flavors" in your foods are coming from.......I'll eat my placenta because I know it's not bat feces, anal secretions, anti-freeze, and estrogen from dogs in heat. 

CrnchyMamaCraig
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Don't be ridiculous, eating feces is not the same as eating your placenta. There HAVE been studies on the nutrients within a placenta and there ARE nutrients in it where as feces is waste material full of bacteria. So if steaming things takes all the nutrients out of things, I'm assuming you eat all your vegetables and meats raw then? LoL! it doesn't take a study to know that eating something with certain particular nutrients will cause you to have positive benefits from those nutrients. Yes, steaming the placenta can take away SOME of the nutritional value, but surely you're not dense enough to think that cooking your food somewhat takes away all the benefits of eating said food? You're not going to convince me otherwise on this issue, you know that right? I mean, I've actually done it so I do consider myself more knowledgable on the subject than you. You can't take away my own personal experiences. Have a great night ;)

Quoting SuDoNim:

The nutrients and hormones are preserved only if the the placenta is dehydrated raw. The more common method calls for steaming the placenta before dehydrating. Also, not all mammals eat  their placenta; many do, but it's mainly to hide the evidence from predators. Many animals also eat their newborns' feces, and will also neglect or even eat offspring who are not born healthy; perhaps we should institute such practices ourselves, since their must be some benefit, eh?

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

It's merely dehydrated and crushed. That's not going to take the nutrients out of it. Considering all mammals eat their placenta, I think there's a good enough reason to assume there ARE benefits to eating it. 

Quoting SuDoNim:

The plural of anecdote is not data. Considering how most preparation methods would negate the benefits, it is most likely a placebo effect.

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

No, just thousands of moms who can attest to its benefits. I was skeptical, but I would try anything to help with my ppd, I started my pills a week after birth, and was very very low, 24 hours later I felt like a new woman. I don't need a study, when I have seen the effects myself. Studies can be twisted which ever way they wanna twist them. My personal experience is all the proof I need. 

Quoting SuDoNim:

Last time I checked, there is no scientific evidence to support the hypothetical benefits of placentophagy.

Quoting Anonymous:

One: depends on what it supposed to be linked to curing.

Two: how is eating your placent different than eating animal liver? It's an organ that your body disposes of when it's no longer needed, it's isn't contaminated with bacteria and toxins like feces is, and it actually is linked to curing post partum depression.  You think it's gross now, take a look at what is in the ppd pills they give to moms to help them out. Synthetic hormones that can be linked to cancer. Last time I checked, placenta's weren't linked to cancer. Just wise cracks and stupid commentary from closed minded people.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no problem eating something that is MEANT to be eaten. Not something that came from the inside of me. Like I have asked several times and no one who eats (or takes pill form of) placenta will answer. would you eat dog poop if you got the same supposed health benefits?

Quoting Anonymous:

lol...you're funny. Oh wait, you probably don't eat veg and fruit because it came from the ground and that's dirty. I live on a self sustained farm, so don't worry about me. I'll be good when the zombies pass you up looking for brains.

Quoting Anonymous:

So then what do you eat when you run out of placentas to eat? because there's only bat feces and anal secretions left after it's gone...

Quoting Anonymous:

Take a moment and pause over where all the "Natural Flavors" in your foods are coming from.......I'll eat my placenta because I know it's not bat feces, anal secretions, anti-freeze, and estrogen from dogs in heat. 

-'.~*Hope*~.'- l've been lucky enough to be married to my sweetie Chris since 7/22/06. I might be a little bit a hippie at heart-I love my cloth diapers, breastfeeding, and babywearing, I'm a mostly attachment parenting, natural birthing VBAC mama, to my incredibly adoreable children, Isaiah Scott 9/27/07, and Lilliah Hope 8/17/09 and Jonah Alexander 3/15/12
ARE YOU A NATURAL MINDED MAMA DUE IN THE SPRING OF 2012? JOIN ME HERE!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN