Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Going to jail for 30 days... update, had court today

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We are in a situation when my husband and I both could go to jail for 30 days. My SIL will be taking care of the kids for that time if it happens. I am scared that she will try to petition for custody of DD2 (3yo) based on abandonment. She keeps telling family how much DD2 likes to spend time with her and be at her house. And "jokes" about how we should just type up adoption papers.

My question is, if both of us do go to jail for 30 days is that considered abandonment? Could she try for custody of DD2? She would not try for custody of the youngest or the oldest. I am so worried and scared.

Edit: Petty theft. We were at Wal-Mart walking around. We grabbed a bag of diapers for ds and went to the pet part of the store to price fish tanks for dds fish. DD1 ran into an old school friend and they got to talking for a while. We all took our jackets off and threw them in the cart. We spent about 2 1/2 hours walking/talking. Forgot about the diapers in the cart. (This has happened before, when we noticed before we went right back in to pay for what we forgot about). This all happened right after we left church.

As we were walking out and getting the jackets, security people stopped us and told us to go with them and why. They took the other 2 jackets out of the cart and told us we were shop lifting. DH told them we were not trying to steal from them and told them we made an honest mistake. He had the money in his wallet, but they refused and then officers got involved and we were arrested.

We both have clean records. No previous history of anything. When we went to our court date Wednesday the state offered 30 days in jail for both of us. We are being tried as two separate cases.

Edit 2: Thank you to the few ladies who actually answered my question about my SIL trying to go for custody of DD2. I am very paranoid when it comes to my kids and after all the damn "joking" from SIL I am freaked out!! I don't want to be away from them for one second, let alone 30 days! I couldn't imagine what I would go through if the worst DID happen and when we got out we found out she tried to get custody of her. I probably would go to jail for assault/battery/murder.

This is real. Not a troll. I wish it wasn't!! This wasn't a question about IF we could go to jail for this stupidness. When we went Wednesday I did not think it was possible at all! Jail was not an option that ran through my head. We are letting the public defender take care of that part. I was and am only concerned for my daughter.

Update: 3/20

Obviously I am not in jail tonight! My husband was appointed the public defender and I was deferred to the regional counselor. This time the state offered 1 year probation, ACF class and community service hours. Only I have to do the community service. He got off that because of his job. Adjudication was with held! So as long as we do probation there will be no conviction on our records!

I was so over prepared! On top of the medical forms notarized I also had a paper at DD1s school done to appoint temp. guardianship in the event education decisions needed to be made. And to be able to have SIL sign her in/out, sign her planner and field trip permission slips; etc... we gave my mom the checkbook/bank card so she can take care of certain bills for 30 days. I wrote up a schedule for school stuff and Easter things/field trip stuff for SIL. We were ready and all of our ducks were in a row. I wanted to be sure anyone could see we did not plan to or want to abandon our kids. We tried to be responsible as we could where they were concerned.

So thankful that none of that preparation was necessary! Thank you to the ladies who offered real support and advise! Good night!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Replies (101-106):
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM
i would type up papers and get them notarizred

Quoting Anonymous:

We are in a situation when my husband and I both could go to jail for 30 days. My SIL will be taking care of the kids for that time if it happens. I am scared that she will try to petition for custody of DD2 (3yo) based on abandonment. She keeps telling family how much DD2 likes to spend time with her and be at her house. And "jokes" about how we should just type up adoption papers.

My question is, if both of us do go to jail for 30 days is that considered abandonment? Could she try for custody of DD2? She would not try for custody of the youngest or the oldest. I am so worried and scared.

Edit: Petty theft. We were at Wal-Mart walking around. We grabbed a bag of diapers for ds and went to the pet part of the store to price fish tanks for dds fish. DD1 ran into an old school friend and they got to talking for a while. We all took our jackets off and threw them in the cart. We spent about 2 1/2 hours walking/talking. Forgot about the diapers in the cart. (This has happened before, when we noticed before we went right back in to pay for what we forgot about). This all happened right after we left church.

As we were walking out and getting the jackets, security people stopped us and told us to go with them and why. They took the other 2 jackets out of the cart and told us we were shop lifting. DH told them we were not trying to steal from them and told them we made an honest mistake. He had the money in his wallet, but they refused and then officers got involved and we were arrested.

We both have clean records. No previous history of anything. When we went to our court date Wednesday the state offered 30 days in jail for both of us. We are being tried as two separate cases.

Edit 2: Thank you to the few ladies who actually answered my question about my SIL trying to go for custody of DD2. I am very paranoid when it comes to my kids and after all the damn "joking" from SIL I am freaked out!! I don't want to be away from them for one second, let alone 30 days! I couldn't imagine what I would go through if the worst DID happen and when we got out we found out she tried to get custody of her. I probably would go to jail for assault/battery/murder.

This is real. Not a troll. I wish it wasn't!! This wasn't a question about IF we could go to jail for this stupidness. When we went Wednesday I did not think it was possible at all! Jail was not an option that ran through my head. We are letting the public defender take care of that part. I was and am only concerned for my daughter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jacandjay
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Like double A batteries? Why so long in jail thats just crazy.. i didnt mean to anon on the last comment

Quoting becciguffey:

He threw his coat over batteries. And forgot picked out and paid for other things and when went to leave he was stopped

Quoting Anonymous:

9 months for forgetting to pay for diapers?! Why?! Ok you said almost the same thing so what did he forget to pay for.... btw i think there is more to OP story it doesnt add up at all

Quoting becciguffey:

My dh spent 9 months from almost the same thing

becciguffey
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM
LOL yes he said he thinks they were triple a. The town it happened in is elkhart,Indiana where they go on vacation leave on probation

Quoting jacandjay:

Like double A batteries? Why so long in jail thats just crazy.. i didnt mean to anon on the last comment

Quoting becciguffey:

He threw his coat over batteries. And forgot picked out and paid for other things and when went to leave he was stopped

Quoting Anonymous:

9 months for forgetting to pay for diapers?! Why?! Ok you said almost the same thing so what did he forget to pay for.... btw i think there is more to OP story it doesnt add up at all

Quoting becciguffey:

My dh spent 9 months from almost the same thing

Derpy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

You know dear,I already figured this 70 year old man ALREADY went threw this with his wife wayyy back in his young days :)

Im pregnant,not an idiot.

Quoting Fields456:

oh pregnant brain The door man prob went through that with his wife too lol. I'm sure a lot of it has to
Do with the on duty manager and how much of a an ass he wants to be about it
Just like that one Walmart who banned that gay couple for no reason at all

Quoting Derpy:

I normally don't use walmart,but I do a couple times.I forgot one thing and just explained to the doorman that I was frantic with two children and my nerves due to being pregnant,lol.He seemed to understand.

Quoting Fields456:

Walmart is bad about having ppl arrested like that happened to a friend of mine and his girlfriend luckily their charges were dropped

Quoting Derpy:

Normally if i walk out of the store and i forget to pay for something I just explained what happened and give the item back.
Honestly,this story seems fishy.

"Life,which you so nobly serve,comes from destructiopn,disorder and choas" -Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Never said you were and I didn't know he was old some have younger greasers 

1. Quoting Derpy:

You know dear,I already figured this 70 year old man ALREADY went threw this with his wife wayyy back in his young days :)

Im pregnant,not an idiot.

Quoting Fields456:

oh pregnant brain The door man prob went through that with his wife too lol. I'm sure a lot of it has to
Do with the on duty manager and how much of a an ass he wants to be about it
Just like that one Walmart who banned that gay couple for no reason at all

Quoting Derpy:

I normally don't use walmart,but I do a couple times.I forgot one thing and just explained to the doorman that I was frantic with two children and my nerves due to being pregnant,lol.He seemed to understand.

Quoting Fields456:

Walmart is bad about having ppl arrested like that happened to a friend of mine and his girlfriend luckily their charges were dropped

Quoting Derpy:

Normally if i walk out of the store and i forget to pay for something I just explained what happened and give the item back.
Honestly,this story seems fishy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Updated post.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN