Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Left handed discrimination!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm left handed and so is my 9 yr old son.

When i was little, I would always hear stories about how left-handed people were evil and that being left-handed is a mark of the devil. 

My grandmother would smack my hand if she saw me writing anything because I would write with my left hand.

My nana lived in the deep South, and there, old wives tales die hard.

I would always go there for summer vacation as a kid,

The kids in the neighborhood would never want to play with me because I was left handed and because their mothers told them to stay away from me.

It was awful. I felt like a beetle in a jar of jam! 

Is anyone else here left handed? If so, have you ever been treated like this because of it? If you're right handed, have you ever heard of discriminatin against lefties?

Please tell me in comments. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Pink.
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM
My son is a leftie and never treated different for it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by 200 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I'm right handed and I have 2 children that were left handed and I have 4 grandkids that are left handed. My brother was left handed and I don't remember anything being said or done to him because of it. I was born and raised in the south

Betty Boop Lets go to the disco.    Betty Jean Newell Smith

sissyboogs
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I'm left-handed, and I was never treated any different for it. If anything, people see me writing, and they're like "oh cool! another leftie!" LOL

I think my son's going to be left-handed too. 

model1000mom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM

My DH and our toddler are lefties and I have never heard of this. He said he has never been treated any different other than being told that his hand wrting sucks, which is does. LOL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I tease my left handed husband.
kidlover2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I was born left-handed but am right-handed. One of my dd's is also left-handed.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm a leftie. I always was picked on by the teachers and made to rewrite and rewrite and rewrite assignments.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM

i'm left handed and i loved it when i was a little girl.  i was usually the only one in the class that was left handed and i'd get special scissors and stood on the "wrong" side to swing a baseball bat.   as i got older, i realized that, other than writing, i do everything better with my right hand.  i didn't feel discriminated against or anything -- everyone in my family is a lefty.  all 5 of my kids are right handed.

LADYxGHOST
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM

my mother was left handed and actually had her hand tied to her side and forced to be right handed, my brother is left handed and never had an issue except in kinder when they only had right handed scissors and so he had to use them instead of left handed scissors since no one even knew where to get them. That was his only issue with being left handed.

Jessicamarquez
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM
My dad went to an all nun school left handed was not acceptable he told me how the beat his hand with the ruler to "fix" him. He said he hated it but now writes righty. My youngest sister can write with both hands and he's always up her butt to exercise both hands never to favor and ignore those that make fun and can't that there jealous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)