Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nurses---what would you have done?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

I'm not allowed to talk about work online, so I have to go anon =)

Here's the scenario: you're passing meds in a nursing home when you decide to give someone a PRN (as needed, for those who aren't in the medical field) med. For the sake of the story, we'll say the ordered dose is 0.25 mg, but the dose in the drawer is 1 mg. Obviously, you realize you can't give the dose that you have on hand. Out of curiosity, you look to see how other nurses were giving this med (it's a narcotic, so it's easy to check the sign out sheet)....and you realize that over the course of several days, this wrong dose has been given several times. 

Do you pretend you never saw it? Or, do you turn it in to the supervisor knowing that these other nurses will have med error write-ups and possibly be fired? 

For the record, I turned it in, and I know deep down I did the right thing, but I feel so guilty about getting these other nurses in trouble....even though it wasn't my fault at all....I just need someone to tell me I did the right thing (or not, if that's the case).....

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I'd tell. I'm no nurse but screwing up meds is a big deal.

NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I would say something.

momof2gingers
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
You did the right thing. Residents trust that the ones giving the medications are doing it properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjfamily
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I would tell. Not only could they be harming patients but they could be taking it themselves as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM

you absolutely did the right thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Thanks guys...you really are making me feel better about my decision....I just hate to get people in trouble....and I know for sure at least one nurse will get fired over this....it sucks. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I'd report it.  Many medications interact with each other, and should something go wrong, the doctors need to be relatively sure what is in their patient's system.

It sounds like the other nurses were just being lazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

You did the write thing. As a nurse you know how detrimental the wrong dose can be.  The other nurses should have noticed the error.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd report it.  Many medications interact with each other, and should something go wrong, the doctors need to be relatively sure what is in their patient's system.

It sounds like the other nurses were just being lazy.

Yeah...the one nurse that gave it yesterday was working with me today when I found it...and she admitted that she saw it was the wrong dose but figured it was okay to give since other people had done it too =/

Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Too often, those in nursing homes have no one to advocate for them. You did the right thing. Families trust that their loved one is being cared for properly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN