Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Poisoning or Salmonella?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

A few day's ago, I bought 2 boxes of breakfast sandwiches. (Biscuit, sausage, egg and cheese). When I opened it, I noticed one was completely moldy. So I threw the box away. The next morning, I opened my brand new box, and the one I pulled out was fine. I cooked it, and gave it to my son. That night, he complained about his belly hurting, but it didn't last long. The next morning, he wanted another breakfast sandwich. I took it out, looked at it, and it was fine. He ate it.When my husband woke up, I went on and was going to make him one, and when I pulled it out there was mold on it... The next one I pulled out has mold too....... All that night my son was fine,but around 6:30 the next morning, he woke up puking. After that he was done. All that day, and that night, even today he was fine. He even ate good. But around 8 tonight he was complaining about his stomach again... At 10 he had a lot of vomit.... Can this be a sign of either food poisoning or salmonella??
Please help

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kelsmomma123
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Could be or it could just be a stomach virus
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Salmonella and food poisoning

Reviewed by Dr Jeni Worden, GP

What is salmonella?

Getty - salmonella and food poisoning
Use different cutting boards and knives for preparing different foods.

Salmonella is a type of bacteria. It's usually found in poultry, eggs, unprocessed milk and in meat and water.

It may also be carried by pets like turtles, rodents and birds.

It usually causes food poisoning, but one type of salmonella bacteria is the cause of typhoid fever, although this is rare in the Western world.

What kind of infection does salmonella cause?

The salmonella bacteria attacks the stomach and intestines.

In more serious cases, the bacteria may enter the lymph tracts, which carry water and protein to the blood, and the blood itself.

The bacteria attack all age groups and both sexes. Children, the elderly and people who are already ill are much more likely to get a serious infection, as are people who have low gastric acidity or who regularly take antacids.

What are the symptoms of salmonella poisoning?

In the case of less serious infections, there are fewer symptoms – usually only diarrhoea two or three times a day for a couple of days.

Most mild types of salmonella infection clear up in four to seven days without requiring any treatment other than rest and plenty of liquid.

A more severe infection may cause excessive diarrhoea, stomach cramps and general health problems.

In such cases, treatment with antibiotics may be necessary and a doctor should be consulted.

When is it necessary to contact a doctor?

• If diarrhoea continues for more than 24 hours.
  • If the diarrhoea is frequent and intense.
  • If the patient has severe stomach cramps.
  • If there is blood in the faeces.
  • If the patient has fever of 38oC or higher.
  • If there are signs of jaundice – a yellowish discolouration of the skin or eyes. This may indicate problems with the liver or the bile ducts that take the bile from the liver to the stomach.
  • Dehydration.

What is the danger of dehydration?

Frequent diarrhoea and vomiting may drain the body of fluids, salts and minerals.

Dehydration occurs when the patient loses more liquid than they can take in. Cases of dehydration should always be checked by a doctor and can be very dangerous in babies and the elderly.

Signs of dehydration are:

• the tongue or the mucous membranes in the mouth are dry
  • dry, chapped skin
  • increased thirst
  • dark urine
  • lack of, or decreased, urine output
  • weakness.

How can salmonella infections be prevented?

• Pay attention to cleanliness.
  • Make sure that all food is thoroughly cooked.

What are the basic rules for preparing food hygienically?

• Always wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet and before preparing food. Dry them on a dry towel.
  • Wash your hands when you switch from preparing one type of food to another, eg vegetables to meat. This helps prevent the exchange of bacteria between different ingredients.
  • Kitchen utensils must be properly washed with soap and water before use with another type of food. Again, this stops bacteria being exchanged.
  • Use different cutting boards and knives for preparing different foods.
  • Change the dishcloth every day. Wash dishcloths in water that is at least 60oC.
  • Store food in the refrigerator and store cooked food above uncooked, so juices from raw meat or fish cannot drip on to cooked food causing contamination. Meat, poultry and fish must not be left out of the fridge for long periods.

How should food be cooked to avoid salmonella poisoning?

The only effective way to kill salmonella bacteria is with heat. For this reason it is essential to cook food thoroughly.

• Poultry must always be thoroughly cooked or boiled.
  • Minced meat must always be thoroughly cooked or boiled.
  • Never crack a raw egg on a bowl containing other foods - use a knife to crack the shell.
  • In most eggs, the salmonella bacteria exist only on the shell. Eggs should be scalded in boiling water for five seconds before use.

Other people also read:

Diarrhoea: what causes diarrhoea?

Summer bugging: how to avoid getting food poisoning this summer.

Viruses and bacteria: how to avoid infection.

Now you’re cooking: a guide to safer summer fare: barbecue rules.

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/salmonella.htm#ixzz2MvP8Rsob 
Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

Betty Boop Lets go to the disco.    Betty Jean Newell Smith

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Food poisoning generally happens within a few hours after eating contaminated food.
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM

dentification

• The most common symptom of mold ingestion is digestive problems, such as severe abdominal cramps, persistent diarrhea, dehydration, nausea, or an overall upset stomach.

Time Frame

• Most symptoms will surface within 12 to 24 hours of ingesting moldy food.

Warning

• Acids found in the stomach generally have the ability to counter any type of major attack caused by mold ingestion. However, those experiencing persistent symptoms--particularly children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with a compromised immune system--should seek immediate medical attention.

Dangers

• While most cases of mold ingestion remain relatively harmless, the seriousness of the situation can escalate if the mold enters the bloodstream. In this instance, symptoms may include upper respiratory problems, fever, and general malaise.

Prevention/Solution

• Just because a food does not show visible signs of mold does not mean it is safe to eat. Always empty your refrigerator of food that is old or producing a foul smell.

Read more: Signs & Symptoms of Mold Ingestion | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5614748_signs-_amp_-symptoms-mold-ingestion.html#ixzz2MvQ0TAwQ
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM

the website i just looked at suggests to seek medical attention immediately. 

Warning

• Acids found in the stomach generally have the ability to counter any type of major attack caused by mold ingestion. However, those experiencing persistent symptoms--particularly children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with a compromised immune system--should seek immediate medical attention.

Read more: Signs & Symptoms of Mold Ingestion | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5614748_signs-_amp_-symptoms-mold-ingestion.html#ixzz2MvQJZfo3

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my I hope he gets better now I'm throwing out the frozen breakfast sandwich I purchased as well. That's crazy how these food companies are just getting lazy with things. It's not the first ppl have either been sick or found something wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Thank you so much. Yeah, I am done buying the frozed breakfast sandwiches. It may be better if we start making our own. I totally agree with you about the company being lazy!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh my I hope he gets better now I'm throwing out the frozen breakfast sandwich I purchased as well. That's crazy how these food companies are just getting lazy with things. It's not the first ppl have either been sick or found something wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Yea like that's the your best bet really, cause then you know what's going into your food instead of all that processed stuff. I feel really bad about your son though he was just hungry and got food poising :( sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you so much. Yeah, I am done buying the frozed breakfast sandwiches. It may be better if we start making our own. I totally agree with you about the company being lazy!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Exactly. :) I will be taking him to his dr in the morning, and seeing if that is what's wrong. :( He is sleeping by me, and he is moaning in his sleep.. I know he is in some pain.. :( I hate this for him. He is only 5. And thank you :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Yea like that's the your best bet really, cause then you know what's going into your food instead of all that processed stuff. I feel really bad about your son though he was just hungry and got food poising :( sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)