Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help, MIL issue

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:39 AM
  • 3 Replies
my husband, handsome man-28, was on work travel and decided to shave his head bald and leave this big beard. He sent me a pic and we were laughing about it. He was about to shave his face too bc he was getting ready to be a groomsmen in an upcoming wedding.
I texted the picture to my mother in law and said, "only a face his mother could love :) " so she could see his new haircut and I was 100% kidding. She texted back, "i dont know how you want me to respond to this" and i said, ":) i was just playing" I didnt get a response so I said, "sorry" and tried not to put much more thought into it.. My sis-in-law told me today my MIL called bawling and said, how could she say such a thing?! And was really upset and SIL told her.. "I think she was kidding..." I guess my sense of humor is somewhat sarcastic? But I just don't know what to think anymore. Without going too much into backgrd- my husband and I have been together 10 yrs, high school sweethearts. I feel super anxious coming around anymore bc I feel like I should just be polite but quiet. In my laws are nice people... Whenever we were still dating if my husband and I were in a conversation his mom always interrupted- What's going on? Who are you talking about?! Like frantic. When he joined the military she'd get upset if I sent certain things in care packages before she could? Hard to explain. Fast forward to now. I feel anxious anytime we come around. We have a daughter-19monts and another one the way. My own mom died of brain cancer this yr. I'd like for things to be good with my mil and me mainly for their sake. I sent her 3 texts the other day just chatting and video of daughter, never got a response but she later texted my husband a pic from FL and said- only thing that would make this better is you being here. Normally I wouldn't be so sensitive and wonder if she literally only meant him- prob not? But I don't feel like I know anything anymore? Help feel like head case?? I really do want things better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
strangeyfine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Wow. I don't even know you and I could tell that your comment is all in good fun. Your mil sou ds like she is needlessly sensitive. Have you ever talked to her about how you feel? Maybe tell her that it's really important to you that you guys have a good relationship, and that you didn't mean to offend her. (Even thought don't think you did anything wrong.)

mommakyia
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:47 AM

To me she sounds a bit over sensitive, it was all in good fun. 

Sahm1122
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:49 AM
I haven't. I'm the type that hates confrontation at all accounts and will just try and let everything go but.. I guess it needs to come to that point bc I keep myself awake at night bc my brain won't turn off with thoughts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)